Chapter 21

The next morning Nick go to the hospital so he can visit with his dad. I stay in the waiting room so the two of them can have privacy.

I'm flipping through a magazine when i hear people talking. I look up and Kevin, Joe and Danielle are walking in. Joe goes pale when he sees me, and Danielle hurriedly walks over to me.

"Hi hon." she says.

I stand up and she gives me a hug. She always smells like strawberries and a hint of mint.

"Nick is in with your dad." I say to Kevin, completely ignoring Joes presence.

"You two go in." Danielle says, shooing the boys away from us.

I sit down and she takes a seat next to me.

"Are you okay?" She asks.

I nod, "I'm fine."

"You didn't look so good when we walked in. Is it Joe?" She asks.

I look at her then, "why would it be Joe?"

"Come on Trin. I'm not blind. Something is going on between you two."

"I honestly couldn't tell you what." I say.

"Joe and Jenny postponed their wedding date." She says.

Postponed? Maybe I'm mistaken, but last I knew postponed means that it will happen at a later date.

"Oh." I say.

"I assume because of everything that's going on or is there another reason?" She asks and raises an eyebrow.

I shrug but don't say anything. I'm thankful when Mrs. Jonas arrives and the subject is changed.

When Joe comes out, he walked over to me with his hands in his pockets, "can we talk?" He asks.

I can feel Danielle's eyes on me but I don't look at her.

"I..." I start but he interrupts me.

"Please." He says before running a hand through his longer than normal curls.

"Fine." I say.

I follow him outside and into a walking area that the hospital uses. There's a bench and he takes a seat on it. I sit down, keeping as much space as possible.

"Listen, I'm sorry about being distant." He says.

"You just postponed the wedding?" I ask, not being able to hold it in any longer. I look at him but he looks away.

"Yes."

"Postponed. But not canceled. Why?" I ask.

"With Everything going on with my dad, I didn't want to put any more stress on them by telling them about me and Jenny."

I laugh, and it probably came out rude but I don't care.

"Is that the real reason Joe?" I ask, my eyes narrowing.

He looks at me then, his hazel eyes full of confusion, "Yes."

"What about me? I was supposed to be there for you. And you didn't let me. You went to her. After the weekend we had together."

"I'm sorry Trin. Jenny is just familiar. She's who I have gone to for the past few years."

"Familiar?" I say, my voice shaking, "I have known you almost my whole life."

"Trin."

I stand up, "you know what I think? I think you are using this as an excuse. Did you even really end things with her? Why would you lead her on like this if you don't want to be with her? And why would you just push me aside if your plan is what you say? I'm pretty sure your parents wouldn't agree with how you are handling things."

He stands up too, but he avoids eye contact. "that's not it Trinity."

I shake my head, tears forming in my eyes, "I don't believe you."

"It's just a bad time right now." He says.

"If you really wanted to be with me, nothing would stop you." I say lowly.

"I..."

I put my hand up to stop him, "I don't want to hear anymore. I'm done with whatever this was."

"Trinity please."

"How is it fair for me to sit back and wait for you to decide you want to be with me? I've never had to think twice. It's always been you." I say before turning around and walking away.

Now would be the time he grabs my arm and stops me, turning me around and then telling me he loves me but he doesn't. I weep as I walk back to Nick's car.

Authors note.
Here's a little something to let you know I'm still here. I'm so sorry I haven't posted. I've been going through a lot of things and haven't had to mindset or time to write but im trying. Thanks so much for sticking around.