Chapter 35

Nick is dating someone else? But I thought he... wait. I should be glad. Because then he's truly okay with me and Joe. I should be happy. But I'm not.

Who is she? Is she pretty? Is she good for him? Do I know her? Kelly... Kelly... nope doesn't ring a bell.

"I've been out with her once. It's not that big of a deal." Nick says.

"You never date, so yeah it kind of is." Kevin says. Has Kevin suddenly forgotten about Nick and I's confusing relationship? Or does he assume everything is fine because Joe and I are together.

Am I the only one who isn't fine?

Nick smiles at the floor, turning red. He's blushing. Oh my god, he likes her...

"It's pretty warm in here, with the oven on and all that. I'm gonna get some air." I say, grabbing my crutches.

"Do you need help?" Nick asks.

"No." I say, almost too quickly.

I hobble my way out onto the front porch and take a seat on the swing. I take a deep breath.

I shouldn't care Nick has something going on with someone else. I am with Joe. Who I have wanted to be with forever. If nick wants to move on from me, he should. I don't want to string him along.

But...

"Hey." Danielle comes onto the porch. She wipes her hands on her apron. "Are you okay?" She asks.

"Yes, I'm fine." I say.

"You were looking pretty pale in there."

"Just overheated, that's all."

"It has nothing to do with Nick?" She asks, taking a seat beside me.

I shake my head, "No, why would it?"

"You just seemed upset. And Kevin didn't mean to throw it in your face like that."

"I'm fine." I say.

"Are you sure?" She asks.

"Mhmm." I say. I want to tell her how I'm feeling, but she has enough stress on her plate today. Plus, I don't even know how I'm feeling.

"I better get back to cooking." She says, and pats me on the leg before getting up and going back inside.

I stand in front of the mirror, and look myself over. I look silly in shorts since it's getting cold out but it's the only thing that I'm comfortable in with this cast.

I can hear guests starting to come, and I can't stop wondering if Kelly is here.

Get a grip, Trinity! I think to myself.

"Knock knock."

I turn to see Joe in my doorway, grinning from ear to ear.

"Hey." I say with a smile.

He walks over to me and pulls me to him, holding me up so I don't loose balance. He smells good, and his hair is damp as if he just showered.

He leans in and kisses my cheek and then my lips, kissing me longer than he has been. I kiss back, feeling a connection, but something still feels off between us.

"Are you ready to go out there?" He asks.

"Yes." I say.

We walk into the living room, and it's almost full. People are separated into groups, talking to each other, eating snacks that Danielle prepared. I don't see many people I recognize but I assumed that. Kevin is older than us, and has always had a different group of friends.