Chapter 3

I try to push aside all thoughts of how it went last night with Joe as I approach his apartment. I'm relieved when it's just him and Nick, Jenny nowhere to be found, most likely at work.

"Hey guys." I say as I enter.

"Hey." They say in unison. Nick is seated with his laptop on the recliner, and Joe is flipping through television channels while sitting on the couch.

I walk over and take a seat next to him on the couch and turn my attention to the television. "Where's Jenny?" I ask.

"Working." He says, "Shouldn't you be too?"

I shake my head, "it's summer now Joe."

"Oh, right."

I work in the dining room of the local college here and when they are off for summer break, so am I. So I save up as much as I can to pay off my bills while I'm unemployed. Ironic isn't it, that I work at a college though I never attended one.

"Thank god." Nick says with a smile.

"Any fun plans this summer Nick?" I ask.

He shakes his head, "Nah, just spending time around here."

"What about you Joe?" I ask. He works part time with his dad who owns a construction business. But since its family owned, he can sort of just work whenever he wants to.

He shrugs, "Wedding planning I guess." He says, running a hand through his hair.

"Right." I say. I want to ask if they have picked a date but I'm too afraid to.

"I was thinking of going to a movie tonight if you want to come Trin." Nick says.

"Yeah sure, sounds like fun." I say, leaning back against the couch.

"Cool." Nick says.

It's silent for a moment before Joe asks, "Can I come?"

Nick looks at me and that at Joe, "Yeah sure. I would have invited you but I figured you were going to be with Jenny."

"No, she's working late tonight."

Joe has been pretty MIA since dating her, so I find it odd that he wants to hangout with us all of the sudden but I don't say anything. I mind as well soak up as much time as I can with him before he's married, no matter how hard it will be. It's not like I can just tell him I don't want to be friends with him anymore. He would want to know why and I definitely am not going to tell him.

"Okay, then the three us can go." Nick says, but I can hear almost a hint of disappointment in his voice. We rarely do things just the two of us anyways.

"Great." Joe says with a smile and turns to me, "Do you still have snow caps with your popcorn?"

I grin, "of course."

"The cookie dough bites are way better." Nick says and I laugh. Joe and I have always been similar, liking the same foods, movies, books; you name it. Nick and I have always been more opposite.

"No way." Joe says.

"We can argue about that when we get there." I say to the two bickering brothers.

That's exactly what they do as Joe buys us each a small popcorn and a thing of snow caps and Nick buys a small popcorn and cookie dough bites. They even get the cashier involved on the debate. I can tell she could careless but she goes along with them anyway, picking cookie dough bites. Which just upsets Joe and I can't stop laughing at the two of them.

We take our seats in the theater, with the boys on each side of me. We sit in silence as we watch some action film they picked. I never care what movie we see as long as I get to be in their company.