Broken Bonds

I found myself walking along some stone floor. Focusing further I picked up a lack of details in everything around me.

My footsteps clattered along the ground and I cautiously tried to figure out where I was.

Nothing about the area was particularly familiar to me. I reached for my bag but found it missing, which meant none of my Pokémon were with me.

I took in a panicked breath. I was completely alone in some strange featureless void. I turned around and found Kirlia suddenly next to me.

Ayyy Wally! I think we might be sharing a dream of something dude! Kirlia told me.

I pondered the thought and felt relief wash over me. It was just a dream. "Oh. How did that happen?"

Kirlia shrugged. probably the psychic connection or whatever.

I stood awkwardly, not entirely sure what to do now that I knew I was just in a dream with Kirlia.

Anyway, we should do what I usually do when I dream. Kirlia suggested.

"And what's that exactly?" Kirlia suddenly summoned an ice cream truck. Get ice cream. Obviously, Wally, come on.

We walked up to the truck but as we did the entire scene shifted to the route just outside of Petalburgh where I had first met Kirlia. It was late evening and most people had already gone home.

My eyes scanned the area to confirm where we'd suddenly been transported to. "Huh? I thought we were getting ice cream?"

Kirlia shrugged. Hey man, I only have minor control over these things. Dreams are weird.

Suddenly a Mightyena appeared. But this one was unlike the familiar black hounds. For starters, it was far larger than the average Mightyena. It seemed to flicker in and out of existence with ghostly red eyes.

I did my best to keep from screaming as the giant beast glared at us. Kirlia seemed fairly unphased. Oh, I know where this is going. Mightyena looks a bit different though... anyway enjoy the show. Have some popcorn. Kirlia told me casually as he summoned popcorn into his hands.

A trainer returned the Mightyena to its Pokeball and I felt relief wash over me. The man seemed to be in his mid-20s. He had a large build and wore a black trench coat.

He had silver eyes and golden blond hair. His hair was styled almost like my own hair. Fairly wild and unkempt.

He sent out a Ralts. The small Pokémon's face lit up when it saw the trainer. The Ralts appeared to be in its infancy. The trainer refused to look at his Pokémon as he crushed the Pokeball. "Go on. You're free now." The Ralts didn't move, though now its demeanor had changed to that of sadness. "Get out of here. Go to your weak brothers and sisters before I have to call out Mightyena to scare 'em off again. Go!"

The trainer's shout seemed to be enough to get the Ralts to run off into the grass. The trainer turned and left the route.

Suddenly my mind was pelted with one echoing thought. I am not weak. I am not weak. I AM NOT WEAK!

I shot awake in my bed. I took in everything I had just seen. That must've been Kirlia but why was he so casual about it all?

I glanced over at Brendan and he was fast asleep. We had to stay the night in the Lilycove Pokémon Center because of a sudden storm that had appeared in the sea.

I distinctly remembered Brendan's reaction. He seemed convinced this all had to do with what his father had been hiding.

I glanced at the clock on the bedside table and realized it was already 8 in the morning. I dragged myself out of bed and hopped into the shower.