Verdanturf

The next day I met up with Emerald outside the Pokémon Center. Emerald was polishing one of his Pokeballs. "Wally, I fear we haven't the time to waste. Despite the gym being good training I fear Team Crown is going to be moving on and we simply can't lose your Pokémon."

I nodded, Rodney was really important to me. Way more than some gym I didn't want to take on anyway.

Ralts was less than pleased. How am I supposed to show off my strength if we can't even take on the gyms? My goal is to get strong and gyms make you strong!

"Ralts..." I sighed, I didn't want to deal with him right now so I shut my mouth.

Emerald glanced off to the north exit of Rustboro City. "There we will find the Rusturf tunnel. Now come along Wally." He walked down the marble road and I followed him.

"So Emerald," I said in my weak attempt to make conversation. "Where are you going after we beat the Team Crown goons?"

Emerald shrugged. "I'm not entirely sure. Whenever the Team Crown members are causing trouble I suppose."

This guy is so serious. Team Crown this, Team Crown that. He should train that Bagon of his. Ralts told me, sitting on top of my shoulder.

We strolled through the small route leading to the Rusturf tunnel. Some Pokémon scrambled around in the grass and a light breeze blew through. A group of trainers were battling each other off to the side.

"Eevee use take down!" One trainer commanded, his brown furred Pokémon rushed forward and slammed into the opposing trainer's Skitty. The small kitten landed on its feet and struck back with a double slap.

Trainers were always battling. Nonstop fighting, sometimes I really appreciated contests for slowing things down and having trainers do something but battle.

I found battles fun sure, but not all the time. And especially not against completely random trainers. Pokémon were better as friends.

Emerald lead us to the entrance of the tunnel, he went in first and when I followed my eyes took a moment to adjust to the blinding dark. There was very little light but I could faintly make out some details.

The air was so much cooler and little bits of water dripped from stalactites in the ceiling onto the ground, there was even a little water pool.

I continued forward taking everything in. The silence of the cave set all my nerves on edge. As we walked my foot kicked something, it skidded across the floor and stopped on a wall.

"What was that?" Emerald asked.

I moved towards where I'd heard where the object hit the wall. "I'm not sure, but I think it's an item someone dropped." I felt around until my hand closed around a spherical object. I brought it close to my face and could easily tell it was a regular Pokeball. "It's just a Pokeball. Let's go."

Eventually we reached the exit. The light outside was blinding. I had to squint before I could make out Verdanturf Town.

We slipped out of the cave and arrived at the town. It was about noon when we arrived and the sun was shining over the little town.

There were only a couple buildings and even fewer houses. The town was surrounded by mountain on three sides, however it had a path to Mauville City, which towered over my vision. It was incredible how massive that city was.

A couple of Team Crown goons were standing around the Pokémon Center talking, I looked to Emerald and he nodded.

Alright let's show them how strong we are! Ralts shouted in our minds.