Chapter 11 : Swerve

1 week later

1 week later

"Nakakapagod na." Marahas kong ibinagsak ang libro sa mesa kung saan nakaupo si Reika na nanonood na naman ng netflix.

"So you're gonna quit now?" she asked with a menacing grin.

"Never. I'll whine and cry non-stop but I won't quit. Hayaan mo lang akong magreklamo ngayon, magiging nurse din ako," giit ko.

"That's the spirit!" She clapped her hands and added, "yes there's pun intended."

"Just shut up." I rolled my eyes and began reading.

As we busy doing our thing, the doorbell suddenly rang. Nagkatinginan agad kami ni Reika.

"Food delivery?" She asked so I shook my head.

"Ang mga unggoy?" I asked.

"Baka? Pero ang sabi nasa ospital sila," she uttered in confusion. Still, she stood up and headed outside to see.

Reika told me she doesn't like hospitals kaya naman minsan lang siya kung sumama sa mga unggoy sa tuwing bumibisita kay Jethro. Technically hindi rin naman kami magkaibigan ni Jethro kaya hindi rin ako bumisita. Besides, I'm worried he'd feel uncomfortable once he sees me. After all, I witnessed his most vulnerable moment — If tables were turned, I would feel uncomfortable seeing him again knowing he saw me cry and beg for my life.

"Tita, this is Silver."

Nag-angat ako ng tingin at napatanga ako sa gulat nang makita ang isang may-edad na babae na ginigiya ni Reika papasok. She looked so neat and formal with her dress and pearl necklace. 

"This is Tita Janice. She's Jethro's mom," pakilala ni Reika kaya naman tumayo ako.

Before I could even reach for a handshake, she suddenly walked towards me and pulled me into a big hug. Gulat na gulat akong napatingin kay Reika at kahit ito ay napatanga rin sa nangyari.

"You are Godsend! Thank you, Hija! Thank you so much helping my son! God, I can't even imagine what would've happened if I lost him!" she said and I could even hear her cry a little.

She let go of me and cupped my face with one hand. It was even trembling a little. "Thank you, hija. Sabihin mo sa akin paano ako makakabawi."

I freaked out a little kaya naman napahakbang ako nang isang beses paatras. I tried my best to sound friendly and gentle as I spoke, "Ma'am wala po akong hinihinging kapalit. I got there by chance and just decided to help."

"Tita, Silver is a nursing student. Perhaps it was a call of duty?" Reika chimed in with a smile but I was sure she was only smiling because she was proud to sneak in a video game reference.

"Where are you studying? I can help you with your professors!" she said with a big eager smile on her crying face.

"No need po." I quickly shook my head. The least I want is for someone else to do the hard work for me.