2 - A Turn of Events

Y/n's POV

"Nice to meet you too, Harumi."

She gasps. "How did you know my name?"

"I—uh—never mind," I say, looking away. She squints at me, likely not sure what to think.

"Well, if you know my name, it's only fair that you tell me yours."

"I'm Lloyd, and this is y/n," Lloyd says before I can elbow him in the ribs. Dang it! I don't want to be nice to Harumi! And I especially don't want him to be nice to her!

I hug Lloyd's arm and hide behind him slightly. I'm no longer angry at the sight of Harumi, I'm just scared that Lloyd might fall for her.

"You're the master of portals, right?" Lloyd asks with the intent to continue the conversation while everybody else talks casually amongst themselves. "We're the masters of—"

"Energy, I know," Harumi interrupts. "You're the Golden Ninja—Wait... why did you say we?"

"Both me and y/n have golden power," he explains.

"But how is that possible? There's only one grandson of the first Spinjitzu master."

"Well, as obnoxious as this sounds, we're soulmates," I say. "Don't really wanna get into it right now."

It's a long story, but Lloyd's and my soul are linked. We share the same powers, and sometimes we feel what the other feels. We're still discovering this concept ourselves; Sensei only told us this the day we defeated the overlord for the second time. 

We also have more than just the elements of energy and y/e. Originally, Lloyd and I each had one, but thanks to this whole power-exchange thing with Skylor's mother a while ago, we technically have access to all the elements. I bite my nail as I think about how annoying that must seem, but to be fair, neither of us are very good at controlling anything but our own element. It's not like we've been able to practice. 

"Soulmates... Oh! You're a couple, then!" Harumi says, then lowers her voice so only I can hear. "That makes it easier to eliminate you."

I glare at her, knowing that she is not what she seems.

———-———- Lloyd's POV———-———-

I can sense a lot of tension between y/n and Harumi, but I'm afraid to ask why. I bring my attention to Chen, who's explaining the rules of the tournament. Pretty straightforward; if you lose a match, you're eliminated. If you break the rules, you're eliminated. If you riot against Chen, you're--you guessed it--eliminated.

After he's done talking, Chen summons his Kabuki and has them bring us to our rooms. 

"So much for sticking together," I say. I can't help but feel nervous that our team is splitting up.

"Let's meet in my room when the coast is clear," Kai whispers from behind me. I nod and pass on the message.

One of the Kabuki takes my arm and leads me up a flight of stairs. She opens a door for me and pushes me inside. 

"Here is your suite, master Lloyd," she says. "It is designed to give you maximum comfort. Enjoy."

And with that, the Kabuki shuts the door behind me, and leaves me alone in the room. I cautiously look around at the bed and the amenities. I take a seat on the bed, and it's the softest mattress I've ever felt. 

"Maximum comfort, huh?" I mutter. I peer to one side of the room, and I can see a doorway leading into a bathroom. I go to check it out, and there's a large bath and a shelf stacked with fresh towels.