Chapter 22- The moments, before the moment of truth.

It’s after school and I’m on my way to meet with Chase in his class room. I feel horrible for thinking him irresponsible earlier when really it was me. So I’m on my way to wait for the school to clear out so that we can go home together and so that I can apologize. I know I could just forget that my conversation with Riley ever happened but my conscious, or my wolf, won’t let me. I’m no good with brushing guilt off.

I knock on his door and he chuckles.

“Just get in here already, Lane.” His muffled voice says.

As soon as I close and lock the door behind me I run over to where he’s standing and hug him tightly from behind.

“I’m so sorry!” I say into his back as he stumbles into the White Board.

“Whoa! Sorry for what? What’s going on, babe?” Chase says in an amused voice, trying to pry my arms off of him to get a look at me but I won’t budge.

He soon gives up and sighs.

“Don’t read my thoughts, Chase. Just-wait.” I say working up the courage to explain.

I don’t want him to be hurt by my thoughts towards him. Also, I know that I’m not pregnant but in my head there was a chance that I was. And come on, how could I not know about the whole heat thing? That’s so embarrassing.

He waits patiently and when I work up the guts to explain myself I let him go and take a deep breath. He turns towards me and cups my face in his hands.

“What’s up, Love?” He whispers.

I look him straight in the eye and my mouth just takes off.

“I thought that I was pregnant!” I yell.

He looks shocked at my outburst, much like Riley earlier today.

He opens his mouth to say something but before he can, I continue.

“We never used protection so I thought that I was pregnant. I freaked out at lunch and Riley pulled me aside to talk. I was so scared and then I started getting angry. Angry with myself and angry with you. More myself though.” I said as an afterthought.

He tried to speak again but I shook my head and continued on.

“Then Riley told me something that I should have known but didn’t because no one in my family thought it important enough to tell me about mating!” I said scrunching up my face in frustration.

“So that’s why I’m sorry. I’m sorry that I was mad at you! Sorry that I thought you-WE were being irresponsible when really it was just me. I didn’t know about needing to have your first heat before you can get pregnant but you did and in my head I was accusing you of not being smart. I’m not smart! You are. Not me. You.” I finished still looking him in the eyes.