If Sablier Never Happened ~ Chapter 14

Gilbert was helping put bandages on Oswald.
"One more year until you inherit Gryffon."
"Yes. I know that."
"How do you feel about that?"
"I'm ready for it. I'm also ready for the day you give me Jabberwock."
"You are?"
"I know what I must do and I have accepted that there is nothing I can do about it."
"Wow. This is surprising. You changed so fast."
"I know. I needed to."
"By the way, how many guards have you killed this week?"
"None. I have gotten better with only killing animals and enemies."
"You need to remember Jack isn't an enemy."
"I only attacked him once. And what does it matter if he's still alive?"
"I don't need anything happening to him."
Gilbert finished tying a bandage. "Finished. How does it feel?"
"It's good. You know that. Gilbert, do me a favor and don't kill anyone or anything for a few days. We have enough issues on our hands. And I don't need to replace anymore guards." Oswald stood and sighed. "Don't even touch any weapons for the next two weeks. If you must practice, practice your form."
"I'll make sure I touch no weapons. And if I practice my forms, I will do it in my room."
"It scares me how much you've changed over the years."
"It wasn't easy, but I had to." Gilbert looked down. "I had to."
"I'll be with you for a month or two to help you cope. I'm sure someone else will help you after that."
"I won't need anyone to help me through. I will be fine. Can we please stop talking about this before it does upset me?"
"We can. Gilbert, you'll make a perfect Glen."
"So I've been told. Do you know how long it will be before we find the next Glen?"
"No one really knows. It could be tomorrow or ten years from now. Are you worried about falling apart?"
"Just a slight bit."
"It doesn't hurt as much as you think it would."
Oswald pulled a pack of cigarettes from Gilbert's pocket.
"As long as you stop smoking these."
"Sorry."
"Don't be sorry. Just quit. And you can stop worrying about the girl. Vincent isn't a father, yet."
Oswald turned to leave.
"Maybe you should try."
Oswald walked off. Gilbert covered his face and walks to his room.