Chapter 17 - Tooth's past

Ice swept across the floor while the snow queen slept. A storm brew, quietly, as if it was to stay hidden and attack at any given moment.

Elsa was having dream— or was it a nightmare? A memory? It didn’t matter to her, or to anyone else till a blood curdling scream filled the workshop.

Jack was the first to arrive.

He ran into the room, doing his best to stay calm.

“Elsa!” he shook her shoulders, “Elsa, wake up! Wake up; it’s just a dream.”

Elsa’s eyes snapped open, scanning her surroundings. A cold sweat had broken out, but froze as it rolled off her skin.

“Elsa, what happened?” Jack asked as the others made their way in.

Elsa, gasping for air, answered the best she could. “I- I don’t know. First, it was peaceful, then horrifying. It- it felt… familiar?”

Tooth, who was near the doorway, rubbing her arms, thought of Elsa’s teeth. She had been thinking about them all day, but was now focused on what could be Elsa’s. Maybe she still had her’s somewhere.

“It is alright Elsa,” North said, “Lie down and go back to sleep.”

“Can someone stay with me?” she asked.

“I’ll do it,” Jack volunteered.

“No,” Tooth objected, “it’s only right if it’s a girl who does it. Go back to your room Jack.”

He nodded, sadly, but went to do as he was told. North gave Tooth a nod, as if saying ‘Thank you. You’re up first.’ Sandy sprinkled a little dust on Elsa for good dreams. Meanwhile with Bunny, he was doing his best not to fall on his bum. The ice was a bit too slippery for him.

Tooth took a seat next the bed. The sand wasn’t making Elsa fall asleep instantly, but was still have an effect on her.

Else layed (laid) on her back staring at the ceiling, thinking about the nightmare.

“Tooth?” Elsa mumbled after a long silence.

“Mhh?”

“Did you have a family? Do you remember them?”

“I did and I do remember them.”

“What’s it like?”

“It’s wonderful. There are a lot of up’s and down’s, but in the end it doesn’t matter, you know?”

Elsa didn’t know. She didn’t even if had a family of her own once, but she couldn’t help but wonder.

“What was your family like?” She asked.

Tooth smiled at the memories. “My father died when I was young. I don’t remember much about him, but my mother always said he was kind and loving, similar to her. She said I had his smile and every time I smiled it was like he was still there. I had an older sister. She always looked out for me and would do anything to protect me. In the end, I did the same for her.”

“How so?” Elsa yawned.

“One day we’d been walking home from visiting our parents grave. My mother had died of an illness. Anyway, on the way home we were ambushed by thieves. They said to give them all their money or they’d hurt us. While my sister had her back turned they shot an arrow. I was able to push her out of the way before it hit her, but instead it hit me. The thieves ran, leaving me to die, but my sister stayed at my side till I drew my last breath.”

A single tear ran down Tooth's face when thinking of her sister.

Elsa was half asleep, but had to ask.

“Do you think it was worth it?”

“Yes. Yes it was.”  

Elsa then fell into a dreamless sleep. Tooth was starting to wish she had some dream dust to put her to sleep as well, but at the same didn’t. She hadn’t thought of her sister in so long and wanted to savor the memories of her.

Soon enough the sun rose and Elsa woke up.

Tooth had stayed up all night in the same position think of her life before.

“It wouldn’t even matter if I didn’t remember,” she told Elsa. “I have a family. You and the rest of the guardians are all I need to be happy.”