Chapter 25 - The deal

It had been two days since the incident with Scorch and Pitch. Jack and Elsa had constantly been collecting teeth. Every few hours they'd meet up somewhere, talk to see if either of them had seen anything suspicious. Neither of them had.

Tonight they were in North America. Jack was covering the southern part while Elsa cover the north. They agreed to meet back up in Chicago when they were done.

Elsa had finished an hour earlier than planed. She sat on a bench in Millennium Park watching the images changed. After observing everyone and thing around her, she started to wonder around.

She walked around seeing the city at night. It was a whole new experience for her. There were people walking the busy streets, cars honking due to all the traffic, and bright screens changes ads every few seconds.

As she passed an alley, she heard something move. Glancing to her left, she expected to see an animal, or someone dumping the trash. Anything other than a person with hair that reminded her of fire.

Elsa weighed her choices. Follow Scorch into whatever mess he had planned, or find Jack for reinforcement. Finding or waiting for Jack to show up would take longer, and by then Scorch would be gone. If she were to follow, it was guaranteed she'd walk into a trap. It's as if trouble was finding her just to tempt her.

She followed behind him, trailing him on the roof tops. He lead her toward an abandoned warehouse. Its windows were shattered, and it's brick walls were falling apart and covered with graffiti.

Scorch waltzed into the center, lighting fires in barrels around him. He turned to the entrance of the building, waiting for her to come out.

"Oh, Elsa," he sang-sung, "I know you're there. You might as well come out."

She moved out of her hiding spot and into the doorway. All around the warehouse were shadows, and she could feel the presence of the evil shadow man in them.

"What was the point in luring me here?" Elsa called from afar.

"For a deal; why else?" Scorch started to walk around his flames, occasionally raising the fire. She looked over at her with a mischievous smirk. Part of him reminded her of Jack; neither acted serious unless needed. The only difference was that Scorch had an evil aura around him.

"If you don't mind I'd like you to come closer so we don't have to shout. I'd hate for you to lose your voice."

After a hesitate moment, she came closer. She stood outside the ring of fire barrels. Something told her that being inside them was more of a trap.

"What kind of deal?"

"A deal that will give you your memories back. You help us, me and Pitch, ruin Christmas, and, in return, you can have your teeth."

"I don't need them," she said, not think twice about the words leaving her mouth. "I have friends that I can make new memories with. Saving them is all I care about. When we save Tooth and Olaf, we'll collect the teeth, and if mine are there then bonus! I'll have them back, but, until then, I won't focus on remember who I was. I'll focus on who I need to be."

Scorch knew Pitch was in the shadows, waiting to move to the back up plan if needed, but Hans turned around, holding his hand up to the shadows; a gesture to wait.

He had a plan B.

Turning to face the ice queen again, but this time with something in his hand. He put in her reach, but was prepared to yank back at any moment.

It was her teeth.

Elsa looked the golden box with her face. She looked so young and happy then. As much as she wanted to, she didn't reach for it; didn't even move a single muscle, or make any attempt for them.

She met his eyes, but he wasn't expecting the emotionless gaze she held. What he wanted to see was the longing to reach out for them and remember herself.

Shock sparked in his eyes, but only for a second. Elsa hardly noticed; she assumed it was just a trick of the light. Pitch noticed and made his action to intervene.

"Now, Elsa," she jumped and turned around to see him behind her, "please do cooperate with us. We wouldn't want anyone getting hurt, now would we?"

She backed up away from the two men in front of her. They stood side by side as if they had been friends their whole life.

"Wh-- what do you mean?"

Pitch smirked, holding back a chuckle that somewhat escaped. "Why Tooth and-- oh, what's his name? Ah, and Olaf."

She froze in fear. Pitch used his advantage to corner her against a concrete pillar, and overlook her.

"If you don't help ruin North's holiday we will kill your little snowman, and then we'll kill the tooth fairy. That is unless you help."

Elsa wanted to run away; she felt small and useless. She had to make up her mind and fast. Stay loyal to the Guardian, and let one of them plus a friend die, or betray her team and save their lives.

She looked back up, shaking and on the verge of tears. "What do I have to do?"

"Excellent!" Pitch exclaimed backing away. He was overjoyed dreaming of North reaction. In just a few days his plans would be complete and the Guardians would fall.

"Now, the your task is to--"

Pitch explained in detail each step she must to take. One slip up and Olaf was gone. Another one and then it would be Tooth. She nodded numbly as they told her the instructions. They also notified her that Scorch would check up once a day to make sure everything was going according to plan.

"And warn or hint anyone of these plans, and they will be killed immediately."

She nodded once again, not saying a word. At some point she had sat down, pulling her knees to her chest, and resting her head on her arms.

Pitch patted her head. "If you had just worked with us in the first place, this would've been easier. We must be on our way now. See you soon, Snowflake."

She cringed hear the new nickname. Pitch chuckled, but stopped abruptly.

She looked up to see him and Scorch gone. The fire had disappeared as well, but the heat stayed. Scorch was near by watching her.

A noise was heard outside, but she ignored it at first. Then she heard footsteps approaching.

"Elsa?" they called, rushing over. "Elsa are you okay? You're burning up."

It was Jack. She looked up at him, tears streaming down her face.

Jack pulled her to his chest and stayed like that for what felt forever. He eventually picked her up and started flying to the workshop. She had fallen asleep with tears freezing on her face. It pained Jack to see her like this.

"I swear," he said to her, "that who ever did with will pay."