Chapter 24 - A glimpse into the past

The room was silent as they all heard the news of the kidnapping. How had they taken Olaf? How had they gotten into the Workshop?

"Well?" Elsa asked. "Anything to say?"

Jack thought about the events that happened earlier. No one thought to ask why Pitch was out in the open. He wasn't doing anything to harm the children, so what was his motive?

Then it clicked in his mind. "It was all a diversion. Pitch was there first; we don't know why, he just was. Then Scorch showed up and boom! We've got a massive problem, but just as it started, it ended. Pitch was distracting us while Scorch got Olaf. After that, Scorch joined Pitch up at that location."

The rest stood around thinking of it, trying to find and put together every detail. It all made since. Sandy was the one who saw Pitch, but he didn't wait to see if there was any threat, and when they go there, there wasn't a fight yet.

"Sandy," North said slowly, picking his word carefully, "was Pitch us to something? Anything at all?"

Sandy looked to be thinking for a moment, but shook his head no in the end. North left out an exhausted sigh before explaining what they should do next. Jack didn't listen, and Elsa hadn't been listening since Jack explained what really happened.

He walked over to her.

"You okay?" He asked in a gentle voice.

She nodded, rubbing her arms. "Just a lot to take in."

Jack looked back at the others. They were talking among themselves, not paying any attention to the younger two.

Jack put a hand on Elsa's arm and led her back to her room. They didn't talk much, not till they got to her room.

Elsa sat on the bed after Jack shut the door behind him. She was tired, but wouldn't rest till she found her best friend again.

"Elsa," Jack said, "before I showed up, you were talking to Scorch. Did he tell you anything?"

She knew she couldn't tell him that they knew each other. Scorch was the enemy, but he had answers for her. She had to lie to keep that little hope of remember herself alive.

"No. Nothing."

Jack knew that was a lie. She had her knees pulled to her chest, which she only did when she was upset. He understood she just lost Olaf, but that wasn't it. There was more. In addition to how she was sitting, she also wouldn't make any eye contact.

He knelt down infront of her. "Elsa, there's no need to lie. I won't tell anyone."

She thought for a minute. She knew Jack would keep her secret, but she also knew he wouldn't like it.

"You won't like it."

"It doesn't matter if I like it or not. What did he tell you?"

She sighed. "He said we were friends. Really good friends."

"And?" He said, waiting for her to continue.

"That was it. He said that we were friends and that's why I should help them."

Jack was pacing back and forth. They were obviously up to something, and the fact that they wanted Elsa ticked him off. Scorch was trying to get under his skin about this too. No one else knew about Jack's past with Elsa other than Olaf and Hans at the moment, and they both knew Jack cared deeply for the ice queen.

"Jack," Elsa said calmly, "are you okay? You look mad."

Jack ran a hand through his hair, shaking his head no. He crouched down in front of Elsa and held one of her hands. She stiffened at first, but realized how good it was for someone who wasn't afraid to touch her.

"Elsa, promise me that you won't go to him for answers. Scorch is working with Pitch, and neither of them can be trusted."

She nodded. "I promise." There was a moment of silence before she asked nervously, "Did we have a history together? Did you know me before you saved me from Pitch?"

Jack looked at the ground, though he could feel her eyes staring at him. Should he tell the truth? Tell her what they once had? What she once had when she was just a not so ordinary queen? In the end, he knew it was better to just tell her.

He looked at her pale blue eyes. "Yes. We knew each other pretty well before you became a spirit."

Her mouth fell open from shock. Jack had known this whole time, and didn't tell her anything. She had millions of questions that all came out at once.

"Why didn't you tell me? When did we meet? Can you tell me about my life? My family? What I was like and why this all happened?" Those were just a few that she was saying out loud.

Jack let her ask all the questions she'd been waiting years for. She paced the room as she did it too, and he couldn't help but think of the old Elsa; the one before she died and became this. One thing that hadn't changed was her deep thought pacing.

Jack eventually pulled her down to the ground beside him. She finally stopped spewing out questions and was ready for the answers. All of them; the good and the bad.

"The reason I didn't tell you sooner was because I didn't want to freak you out. I'm not going to tell you everything I know abou the old you though." Disappointment fell over her face when she heard that. Jack gently held her hand. "But I will tell you some a basic stuff."

She smiled. "Okay. Tell me."

Jack smiled, ready to tell her about the things that mattered the most.

"You were the oldest of two and had a little sister named Anna. You two were really close till one day you accidently hurt and started to push her away. It wasn't till her were twenty-one did you finally open up again." He paused waiting for any questions that she had.

"But I'd not twenty-one."

"The man in the moon changed that, as you can see. Anyway, Olaf was this snowman you and Anna would make as kids, but, due to your magic, you accidentally made him come to life. I haven't been able to do that and I've been trying since you somehow succeeded."

He stopped there, not speaking another word. Elsa was waiting impatiently for him to continue.

"Well? What else?" She encouraged him to go on, but all he did was smile at her.

"As much as I'd like to tell you more, you'll have to wait till we get our friends and those teeth of yours back. Then you can see for yourself."