Chapter 33 - The rescue

Elsa sat on the ground, her head resting against the wall behind her. She couldn't find a comfortable position on the bed, and the chair was old and squeaky; she felt that it might collapse under her.

Tooth coughed from her cage. Over the past two days, since Christmas, her condition only got worse.

Elsa was starting to lose hope, but Tooth reassured her that their friends were coming for them. Elsa wanted to believe her, but it was hard to when they had no clue what was happening outside their prison.

Elsa had been thinking of Jack while she sat on the floor. She wondered if Olaf had gotten back to him yet. Did the snowman tell the white haired boy the truth? Did he forgive her? Were they really coming to save them or just Tooth?

The sound of footsteps shook her from her thoughts. She knew it was Scorch by the way it sounded. Pitch's footsteps were almost silent, unlike the loud, reckless ones she heard now. He was also whistle a happy tone as he made his way to the Ice Queen's cell.

"Morning, Snowflake," Scorch said as he opened the cell. He seemed extra happy today for some reason. "I come bearing gifts today."

This perked Elsa's ears up. She wasn't going to accept the offer, but it did make her curious. She looked over at him.

He placed an object down on the table. It was a golden cylinder with beautiful detail on it. With the little light that shone it, she could see that one end had a picture on it. It looked familiar.

She gasped when she realized it was her tooth box.

Scorch chuckled. "You want them, don't you? Come one. Just take the box and remember."

Elsa shook her head, moving away from him and the box. Her back hit the bed, causing her to stop. She knew she was cornered now and there was nothing to do other than wait for Scorch to approach, but he didn't. He stayed where he was.

"I'll leave it here for you," he told her, making his way to the door again. "I'll be back again later to take it back. If you haven't touched it yet, then I'll know you're truly interested on who you used to be."

He made his way back down the hall. As his footsteps faded away, Elsa looked at the box sitting on the table. Why was he giving her this? Did he want her to remember? And, if so, why?

"Do it, Elsa," Tooth told her. "Remember who you are."

"But what if it's a trap," she thought out loud. "What if he wants something in return for this?"

Tooth sighed, hoping she could somehow get through to her friend. "Please, Elsa. Maybe it could help us get out of here."

An escape plan? From her memories? But how?

She thought about opening the box. She made her way over to the table, reaching out for the cylinder with a shaky hand. She held the cool box, unsure if she really wanted to open it.

In the end, she put the box back down, tears falling from her eyes. She was afraid to remember what happened. What if it was horrible? Then she recalled Jack tell her about having a younger sister. Anna? Yes, that what her name was.

Elsa took a deep breath, picking up the box again.

"I can do it. I can do it," she whispered to herself over and over as she held the box, but she never made the action to open it.

***

The remaining members of the Guardians were stationed outside what was believed to be Scorch's base. Olaf was still at workshop due to the heat; even with his snow cloud, there was a chance he could melt. Their plan was to have North and Bunny distract Scorch and Pitch while Jack and Sandy ran in to get their friends. That is, if everything went as planned.

"Good luck," Jack whispered to his friends.

"You too," Bunny and North said back.

Bunny and North did their best to draw attention to themselves, succeeding at doing so. It was going to be difficult at holding them back though; everyone was still a little weak from Christmas.

Jack and Sandy ran into the entrance of the hideout, running down a long tunnel. They came to a large open cavern that was lit with fire pits everywhere. The room led into six other tunnels. The two looked at each other, nodding, and splitting off into two different tunnels.

Jack ran into his third tunnel, finding a dimly lit cell to his right and a cage above him. Sandy was behind him seconds later, like he knew this was the right away. Jack pointed up for Sandy and he took the cell. In the corner, he spotted a girl with a blond braid. Instantly, he knew it was Elsa.

"Elsa," he said, causing her to jerk her head up, "it's Jack. Come on; let's go."

"Do you have the keys?" she asked, rushing over to where Jack was.

"Who needs keys?"

He raised his staff, hitting the lock with the wood as well as a blast of ice and frost. Elsa shrieked, moving backwards.

The door opened.

Jack held out a hand for Elsa who hesitantly took it. Sandy had somehow gotten Tooth out of the cage already. They were ready to leave now.

They flew out of the hideout without any trouble and back to where Bunny and North were now fighting off nightmares. Sandy sent off a golden sand flare, letting the others know that the mission was a success.

The Guardians fled, not giving the bad guys a second to comprehend what had happened.