eight

eight

~ Vanessa ~

"Just a little higher.." I say as Luke and Dad are holding both ends of the huge Happy Halloween banner against the wall. "Perfect!" I smile nodding in approval as they pin it up. We are currently setting up for the huge Halloween party we are having tonight. Everybody's coming. All our families, old high school friends, the rest of the Janoskians and yes the rest of The Wanted.

"Great job guys" I pat my dad's shoulder. "I think I left the balloons upstairs, could you go and grab them love?" Dad asks nicely and I nod heading up to my room seeing the packet of balloons on my bed. As I go to grab them, my phone buzzes on the bedside table. I frown walking round and grabbing it unlocking it and opening up a new message. From Nathan,

I love you.

What the actual fuck? Is this a joke? It has to be a joke.. Haha, Happy Halloween Vanessa!

No in fact I know exactly what this is all about. He sent it to me accidentally when it was meant for Ariana. Yes, that makes perfect sense!

I look back down at the words sticking to my screen, I feel some kind of warmth in my heart, some kind of relief. Butterflies in my stomach, or maybe it's the baby kicking. No, it's definitely not. Definitely butterflies, oh gosh why am I feeling like this? Fuck pull yourself together Vanessa!

"Ness?" Luke calls from the bottom of the stairs. "Coming!" I shout down, quickly locking my phone and shoving it in my back pocket, taking the balloons downstairs and helping finish the decorations.

****

"So you excited for tonight?" Karen asks as she takes out another batch of freshly baked sausage rolls from the oven. "Absolutely. I love Halloween!" I exclaim as I am poking cocktail sausages and blocks of cheese on sticks. "Ariana's family are coming" Karen mumbles plating up the sausage rolls. "Really? That's nice" I pass it off carelessly. "You don't mind?"

"Why would I mind? Ariana is Nathan's girlfriend and we are all technically family now so I'm not surprised" I shrug eating some Pringles. Karen shrugs it off and Luke comes strolling in the room. "Hey gorgeous" He leans down softly kissing my lips and stealing a crisp.

"Hey. All done?" I ask and he nods. "All done."

"Brilliant thank you" I grin pecking his nose. "Anything for you cutie" He returns it and we notice Karen staring at us in awe. "You two are so adorable. I remember my summer romance.." Karen begins. "Party poppers, in the car" I hurry dragging Luke out of the room and I hear him laughing from behind.

"Why'd you do that?"

"Because you know parents, they go on and on about their past. Trust me if I hadn't got us out of there, she'd of told us the story of her life" I state making him chuckle. "Vanessa Green, I love you" He pulls me into his chest and kissing me passionately. The front door opens causing us to pull away and Ariana, her family/crew and Nathan are all standing there. "Everybody into the living room!" Ariana calls pointing them through and Joan, her mom, shoots me the dirtiest look I could have died there and then. "I'll go grab the last set of banners" Luke pecks my cheek before disappearing leaving Nathan and I hovering in the hallway awkwardly.

"So.." Nathan trails off. "I got your text Nathan" I fold my arms making his eyes widen, "I- er, I can explain" He hesitates. "There's no need. I get it, it was meant for Ariana and you sent it to me instead. I've done it before, it's all good" I wave my hand carelessly. "But I- Yes I mean, it was meant for Ariana" I nods clearing his throat and pulling edge of his collar. "Well then" I clap my hands together. "Make yourself useful and help your mum with the buffet."