10

Friday
                                        25. June 1964

Who would have ever thought that a day could ever come,when I'll see our love like this fall into pieces.

And it hurts me to know that now till then, I'll only have this memory.

*****************************

        "Te amo Thels"

      She was shocked just as i was then,i saw it in her eyes even before she quickly tried to conceal it.

        "If that is a new word in the Spanish vocabulary Rowland,i know what it means already."

       " I'm not trying to teach you a new Spanish language Thels. I'm telling you what i feel for you"

        Sighing deeply she said to me " I waited for these words long ago Rowland".

       " I know... I had felt the same way right before you Thels"

        " So why didn't you give us a chance then?"

       " What's there to give a chance to? It would be me hurting you Thels and i cherish you too much to do that to you".

         " You know I'll always want to be with you,but sometimes in this life we will have to accept the things we can't change". I said

      " You should have tried" She walked to me and wrapped her arms around me.

        "You should have tried"  She reiterated.  "I heard there is no harm in trying Jamike".

************************************

        "That was the first time she used my native name...She looked at me like a lost sheep".

         " I kissed her instantly. For the first time in my life i kissed Thelma Albert. I kissed her and it felt nice,it felt  so good enough that i craved for more"

      " Literally,i was the Oliver Twist who asked for more but unlike him i did get a second portion. I got more than i wanted, more than i could ever ask for,more than i bargained for".

         " I SLEPT WITH HER"

*****************************

          "This shouldn't have happened Thels"

          " I know and I'm sorry"

        " Stop it's not your fault... I just don't want you to have any hopes  Thels... You are a good person and I'd hate to...."

        " It's okay Rowland"  She cut me off.

          " I understand you... Matter of fact,it never happened. You won't hear it from anyone,it's going to be a little secret i will gladly take to my grave,I promise you"

         " I don't care about that Thels,i trust you already. I just need you to be safe".

      " I will be fine".

*****************************

      "I left for my parish after the rain had stopped and prepared diligently  for the ordination. I did the necessary things and finally i was ordained a deacon".

      " She came for the ordination,she gave me a pair of Italian shoes as a gift and left afterwards."

      " After that,we barely spoke to each other,it was even harder on phone. I sensed she was trying to avoid me,and deep down inside of me i appreciated it too. Though i missed her but i was happy that she choose for me to fulfill my dreams".

          " But a week to my ordination as a Catholic priest,my final journey,a dream i had relished so much, a dream that i just couldn't wait to fulfill. I got a call from her asking to meet her at her place".

      " I finally got a chance two days after her call and went to her place. I met Adiele her cousin on her way out. After exchanging pleasantries,i went inside and met Thelma who was fidgeting nervously with her hair."

      " She looked quite different though,pale and something else...."