6

Thursday
                                               June 15 1963

        "Como estas Thelma?" 

         "And what's that?"

         "How are you Thelma?"

         "Oohhh.... I'm fine"  She answered

         " Reply in Spanish,i have taught you that"

          " Estoy bien"

       " Good...Well,we are done for today. I'm very proud of you Thels, you really are a fast learner".  I said gathering my writing materials.

        "Thanks a lot Rev.,for your time and lectures".

        " Anything for a friend"

        " Friend?"

       "What?" I asked her.

       "Nothing,was wondering if i was just a friend to you".

        " Okay. More than that, you are my sister".

       But sadly she scoffed at me and stood up to leave. I noticed the pain she tried to conceal and i held her wrist to stop her from walking away.

     "What's wrong Thels?.Did i say anything wrong?"

      " It's nothing"

    But i wasn't convinced,she knew it and i wasn't about to lay her off that easy,not till i find out what was bothering her.

      "Really sure, I'm fine"

      "Stop it Thels...Just stop with the sarcasm.... Now, what's wrong with you?"

        " Okay.... Honestly it's nothing. I was just angry that the lectures had to end so abruptly,i wanted to learn more".

       I laughed so loudly,letting go of her wrist at the same time.

           "I'm sorry Thels, but I'm traveling today and i don't have much time anymore... Besides we have been on this for the past two hours, aren't you tired?".

       " It's okay...A donde vas?

       "Voya Owerri"

       "Bien....Bon voyage then"

        "Ahhh!... That was French ma'am"

       " I know I know"

        She merely smiled and led the way out of the church premises.

         "I will see you when i come back tomorrow right?"

          " Si"

           " Alright then...Take care"

          "Yeah, you too"

************************************

       I should have ended it right then,if only I knew there was more to what she told me,if only i was given a second chance to turn back the hands of time,if only i knew that we don't write our destinies,if only i knew that the past gives birth to our tomorrow,if only i knew that just one mistake can change our lives,a lot of if's.

       If only i had pushed harder,then maybe just maybe we wouldn't have found ourselves in the state we were in.