Chapter 20

Naiyapaw shot through the bramble wall as fast as her weak limbs would carry her. Fronds poked at her eyes before she could get a good look around her. Nothing but screeching yowls and frightened sirens of pain met her ears. The snow seemed to weigh her down, the blizzard raging around camp once more.

As soon as she was able to see, she wished she couldn't. The massive hulking bear was thundering around in the center of camp, spattering its frothy white drool into the browning snow. The Apprentice's Den was completely smashed, the boulder once holding it together a shattered mess. The woven barrier around camp had become a crushed pile of broken twigs and rocks, covered in lighty laden crimson. Shouts echoed around the clearing, orders, wails of dispair. Cats from everywhere in the tribe were scattering for safety, calling for their loved ones and screaming directions to hiding places. The Carriers were hauling their kits through the freezing storm, putting their lives at stake, and yet giving them a chance to live.

Where's my siblings? Naiyapaw thought with panic. Her whole body began to shake as she rocketed through the whiteness and into the center of the chaos. All around her, Warriors, Apprentices, Hunters, and Guards were launching themselves at the raging beast, shouting out battle cries and working together to wound it. Many were situated on the bear's head, clawing at its eyes and scratching at its muzzle.

My siblings, where are they?!

Naiyapaw dodged a few swipes and landed clumsily on the other side of the battle, letting out a gasp of pain. Behind her, specks of red were painting the snow.

"Naiyapaw!" a voice suddenly called out over the ear-shattering screams. The frightened she-cat spun around and caught sight of a bloodied ginger pelt, colorful crest around her neck alight with panic. Her pale orange eyes were two pools of alarm.

"Coralfrost!" Naiyapaw yelled back, leaping over piles of debris and thick upturned snow to reach her mentor. The two crashed into each other, echoing quick remarks of relief before pulling away and directing their attention back to the location of the bear. It was still in the center of the clearing, coated with brave cats protecting their tribe.

"Naiyapaw, come with me! Many of us are gathered in the Jewel Collector's Den for safety. The bear won't be able to unearth that cave," Coralfrost shouted over the blizzard, and flicked her tail towards a line of cats making their way to the small entrance. She didn't wait for a reply before turning around and aiding a few injured ones, expecting Naiyapaw to follow.

"I can't! I need to find my siblings!" the apprentice retorted loudly, holding back and locking her gaze on the Carrier's Den. The newly renovated burrow was now a crumbling unstable structure of falling pebbles and hanging branches.

Before her mentor was able to protest, Naiyapaw took in a breath and shot forward back into the raging danger, her fur a flurry of brown against a wall of white. She could hear the ginger she-cat call after her over and over again.

Don't worry, I'll find you! she told herself.

The Carrier's Den was directly behind the bloody scene, the bear's massive brown body nearly blocking it from view. Naiyapaw watched in horror as hordes of toms and she-cats alike flung themselves into the enormous barrier of muscle and teeth. Hiddenstar was at the front of the pack, her lithe blonde body a blur of brown stripes between the bear's legs. The purple lacing crest across her forehead had never looked more vibrant, glowing brightly with determination. All the Warriors were gathered around the creature, latching themselves to wherever they could get their claws in. The bear was roaring loudly, filling the already deafening area with earth-trembling snarls of terror.

Naiyapaw wasted no time in weaving her way between battle distracted Warriors and the huge monster that was terrorizing camp. Hiddenstar let out a mighty yowl behind her, followed by a grunt from the bear.