Chapter 4

The rest of the day was hectic. Naiyapaw was led all around the camp meeting the Warriors, who all seemed very stressed out and on high alert. They never really grouped together in one place either, so countless hours of searching were needed to find them all. Along with the Warriors, Coralfrost had introduced Naiyapaw to the Betas and the Deputy. She remembered how kind and nurturing Voltfang had seemed. He'd make a wonderful future leader.

Of course, Berylpaw had done her fair share of Naiyapaws' introductions as well. That she-cat was always so eager to show off her new friend. During the course of the late afternoon, the Healers had spent about an hour or so explaining their partnership with the Jewel Collecters, and how important they were to the tribe. Naiyapaw took a liking to Kavacloud and Spritepool. Both she-cats were wonderfully cheerful and intelligent, updating the new apprentice on things like medicinal herbs and the uses of the gems she would soon be collecting.

“Although, we shan't tell you the names of these gems!” Kavacloud had stated, her violet eyes shining, “That's your mentor's job!”

The Guards weren't as eager to chat, but they did provide some insight on their duties and responsibilities.

“We keep the camp safe and free of threats,” one tom, known as Gruffblade, had mentioned.

“Yes. We're like.. hmm.. burlier versions of the Warriors I suppose. But stationary.” the other tom, whose name was Cinderjaw, chimed in.

The kits were a bundle of endless energy. Even though Naiyapaw had been a kit not too long ago, they were a bit much for her to handle. Many of them chattered incessantly about gaining their new positions in the tribe. A few of the kits were ready for their Apprentice Ceremonies too, some of them even passing the 5 moon mark.

Naiyapaw had also enjoyed looking at the different crests that adorned each cat. She remembered thinking about how special each marking was, how unique and beautiful they looked among the sea of StoneTribe members.

I'll have a crest one day, she had thought, smiling and imagining what it would look like.

 …......................

By the time Naiyapaw had met just about every cat in the tribe, the sun was well on its journey behind the mountains. Dusk had forced its way around the clearing, and Naiyapaw was beginning to feel anxious.

Night time definitely won't be a favorite of mine, she thought to herself as Coralfrost led herself and Berylpaw to a remote area within the camp.

“Okay Naiyapaw,” Coralfrost mewed over her shoulder, “stay close. It's easy to get tangled up in these gorse bushes if you're not careful.”

“Gorse bushes?” Naiyapaw wondered out loud, but her curiosity was diffused as soon as the trio approached a large cluster of aging foliage. The same dome-shape the branches created that she had observed earlier was still very apparent, but what she had not noticed was the long path that seemed to cut right through the leaves. Numerous paw marks dotted the area, and Naiyapaw realized where Coralfrost was taking them.

“The Hunter's Den sure is a lot spookier at night,” Berylpaw cut into her thoughts, her big purple eyes sparkling in the last rays of evening.

“Yeah... there's been so much more to everything than I thought,” Naiyapaw replied, trailing as closely behind her mentor as was allowed.

Coralfrost's bright crest illuminated the pathway in front of the group, providing enough light to spot overhanging branches or towering stones.

Suddenly, the thicket split open to reveal a large boulder hidden behind a dead tree. The clearing was small, and smelled of fresh kill and tasty things. Naiyapaw inhaled deeply, taking in the delicious hues. Her mouth opened to sample the air. She wasn't disappointed.