Chapter 18

Naiyapaw and Berylpaw crept into the wall of brambles and tip-toed over the rocks in the clearing. Luckily, they had arrived back at camp before the Hunters returned. It must've still been very early.

The sun had barely poked its shiny head over the peaks of the lowest mountains, glittering brightly against the high layers of snow. The apprentice shook her head. It wouldn't be much longer until the white flakes reached their location among the tall stones.

Naiyapaw leaped in front of Berylpaw and slunk out from behind the Carrier's Den. She quickly duck back, slamming into her friend in the process. The calico let out a soft "oof".

"Hey, what was that f-" she started to say, but Naiyapaw hushed her and pressed a paw to her muzzle.

The caramel colored she-cat cringed and peered around the large hut. Voltfang was in the center of camp, grooming his tuxedo fur and scoping out the clearing for any signs of danger. Naiyapaw knew he was only doing his job as a deputy, but his presence was extremely inconvenient. Berylpaw and herself would never be able to sneak by the vigilent tom.

"What is it?" Berylpaw whispered quietly, craning her neck around her friend.

Naiyapaw shushed her again, but replied nonetheless, "Voltfang is out there. We have to stay back here until he's gone!"

"Until who is gone, exactly?" a sudden voice boomed out of nowhere.

Naiyapaw leaped in the air with surprise and landed on Berylpaw, sending them both screeching and careening into the dirt below them. A poof of dust formed around the pair. The young apprentice coughed and batted at the debris, only to uncover a stern tabby face, bright amber eyes glaring at her from between specks of dirt.

"V-Voltfang!" Naiyapaw mewled out, managing a timid smile.

The deputy scowled at her, arching one of his eyebrows and tapping a paw on the ground. His flaming crest lit up in an orange dance of suspicion.

The two she-cats looked up at him expectantly, waiting to be punished or questioned.

"What are you two doing out so early, hmm?" his deep voice rumbled after a moment.

Naiyapaw chuckled nervously, scraping a single claw into the dirt, "W-well, we thought we heard something over here. You see, Berylpaw and I were having troubles sleeping, and-"

"You came over to investigate then? Voltfang finished, seeming obviously unconvinced. Naiyapaw scolded herself inwardly. She couldn't lie to the tribe anymore. It was wrong and exhausting.

"No," the apprentice sighed after a moment, defeated. Berylpaw shot her a look of disbelief and shook her head. Naiyapaw ignored it.

"Voltfang, I know it's very early, but do you think we could speak to Hiddenstar?" she continued, glancing up at the massive wall of rocks where the leader was still sleeping.

Berylpaw shook her head even harder and leaned in, hissing in her friend's ear, "You said we couldn't tell Hiddenstar about this! We'll get in so much trouble!" she reminded harshly.

Voltfang tilted his head with a frown, observing the two apprentices with curiosity. Naiyapaw knew that what she had to tell the StoneTribe leader was far fetched and dark, but she had no choice. Lying wasn't going to get her anywhere. If she really was meant to save the tribe, she'd have to confess... no matter what punishment she recieved.

The deputy finally nodded and flicked his tail to the entrance of her den, "She's awake, but you should probably knock first," he rumbled.

Naiyapaw dipped her head in respect and began the short climb up the clambering stones. Berylpaw was grumbling behind her, something about trust and Slaves. Once the pair reached the top, they took a breather and exchanged a glance. Naiyapaw's friend looked scared and unimpressed.