Chapter 14

Naiyapaw was brought back to camp by the small group that had tended to her. Hiddenstar had returned from the Warrior's patrol, and had taken the lead to inform the Guards of the danger in their territory. Cinderjaw and Gruffblade were not reacting well to the news.

"ThornTribe? On our terf?" Cinderjaw exclaimed, baring his large bottom canines. 

"If any of their cats so much as breathe near our camp, I swear, I will rip their heads clean off their bodies!" Gruffblade chimed in, the patterns on his forehead lighting up with rage. Both of their dark pelts were fluffed up angrily.

"Your job is to protect our tribe at night," Hiddenstar reminded the toms, "But sadly, since the threat of an ambush has risen, I need you and your apprentices to scout during daylight hours as well."

"We'll let them know," Cinderjaw replied, dipping his head respectfully. 

Hiddenstar nodded and darted into the bramble wall, Coralfrost, Kavacloud, Spritepool, Thymepaw, Cocopaw and Naiyapaw at her heels. The seven cats entered the clearing to find many of the remaining tribe members sitting by the Jagged Rock, pelts bristling with fear. Naiyapaw flinched. How long had she been passed out? It appeared that the whole tribe was already aware of the oncoming threat.

"Naiyapaw!! Thank StarTribe!" a familiar voice trilled. Coralfrost and the others made their way to the group, while Naiyapaw stopped and turned her head to face the cat that had called her name. A fluffy calico she-cat was sprinting over to her eagerly.

"Berylpaw!" Naiyapaw replied, greeting her friend with just as much enthusiasm. Chromepaw and Garnetpaw were following their fellow apprentice, worried looks plastered over their faces. The silver tom appeared especially concerned. Naiyapaw blushed.

"We thought.... we thought you had been killed!" Berylpaw whimpered, diving into the caramel colored she-cat's fur. Naiyapaw's colorful eyes widened for a moment, but she sunk down to embrace her shaken friend nonetheless.

"You were gone for most of the day," Chromepaw rumbled, combing a claw through his metallic fur, "and with the possibility of a ThornTribe attack, we assumed you were gone for good."

"DON'T SCARE US LIKE THAT," Garnetpaw shouted, his big green eyes welling up.

"What happened to you, anyways?" Berylpaw asked, still buried beneath Naiyapaw's thick brown neck fur.

"Well... I, uh..." she began, glancing at the three curious felines, "I kinda... drowned? A little?"

Berylpaw sprung to her paws and scowled at the apprentice, "You WHAT?"

"In the river? How?" Chromepaw added in, his huge silver eyes curious and questioning.

"It was warm out, and I went for a swim. It felt nice, but then I found..." she started to explain, but that was when she remembered why she had passed out. Would she be able to tell them what she had discovered in the creek? Something deep within her gut was warning her not to.

".. You found what?" Berylpaw asked slowly, observing Naiyapaw's face.

I can't tell them, Naiyapaw thought, her eyes flickering to the ground, I'll have to make something up. What can I say that won't sound suspicious?

"I found a weird fish!" she fibbed, putting on her best bewildered face, "It was huge! It scared me so much, that I let go of my breath and drowned! It was awful," she finished.

Berylpaw and the toms nodded their heads, exchanging looks of understanding.

"I saw one like that once," Garnetpaw mentioned, "It went after Jasperheart! He yowled like a little kit!"