The Prophecy

Hey guys! This is probably going to be a shorter chapter, but I hope you like. The next chaper, once again, is going to be a bit longer, so I might not update right away. Read on, my fine friends.

Kavacloud pranced into the tent-like Healer's Den, a tightly woven basket of asorted herbs slung around her shoulder. Her apprentice Cocopaw was doing exactly what the white she-cat had asked of her before she left, sorting cobwebs and hollow rocks filled with colorful dusts. The shelves were at the back of the hollow, where a curtain of lichen swung gently in the breeze.

The little brown Healer-to-be heard her mentor come in, and, with a flick of her tail, swung her head around and met the older cat's violet gaze.

"Oh, you're back! Perfect, I was just finishing up! What do you have for me?" Cocopaw mewed with bright hazel eyes, observing the basket of medicine that she wasn't familiar with yet.

Kavacloud smiled at the apprentice, who had been so keen to learn about medicine even before she was appointed. "Well, on this side here, we have bundles of blackberry leaves," she replied, pointing at a section of light green, serrated fronds, "and when a fellow tribe mate is stung by a bee or wasp, you should chew these into a pulp and give it to the injured cat."

"You can also eat them yourself, you flea-brain," a hoarse voice interrupted from somewhere at the back of the den, cackling playfully.

"Oh, hush up, you old bat!" Kavacloud retorted with a snort, rolling her eyes as the elderly Healer Spritepool trodded into the center of the den with her own apprentice, Thymepaw.

Thymepaw was carrying a stack of dark flowers in his mouth. He looked very pleased with himself, spiky mottled fur sticking up as usual. His electric amber eyes were full of excitement.

Spritepool had been Kavacloud's mentor when she was an apprentice. The two shared a bond like no other cat, and they were almost always together. The tribe would frequently tell them what a wonderful team they made.

The old grey-blue Healer watched her former apprentice with curious oceanic eyes. She had passed on many wisdoms to Kavacloud, and she was doing well with Cocopaw. The onyx stone crest on her forehead started to glow a bright blue with pride.

"Anyways," Kavacloud continued, sending a playful glare at her old mentor, "this group of brown roots are known as burdock. When you're bitten by a rat, you should wash the soil off of them, and-"

"Chew them into a pulp?" Cocopaw finished, glancing up at Kavacloud to make sure she had answered correctly.

"That's right," the white she-cat nodded, "Well done."

Spritepool and Kavacloud locked eyes for a moment, and smiled. Thymepaw and Cocopaw would make excellent Healers one day, although they still had plenty of training to endure. The next couple of moons would be increasingly difficult for the young cats.

"Cocopaw, Thymepaw, would you take this basket and set up the herbs in different piles on those shelves?" Kavacloud asked, glancing down at the apprentices. They both nodded eagerly.

"I'll carry it!" Thymepaw insisted, ducking under the basket's strap and lacing it over his shoulder.

"No fair, I wanted to carry it," Cocopaw muttered as the two made their way to the back of the den, bickering like kits during feeding time.

Spritepool chuckled, "They sure are learning fast, aren't they?" she asked in the hoarse voice she used so often.

"They certainly are," Kavacloud sighed melodically in response, the red crest on her shoulder dimming, "Soon enough, one of them will have to take your place."