Chapter 17

It had been about a moon since Naiyapaw's gastly encounter with Stingtalon and Titanpaw. Zirconsight was discovered dead in the lake about a day after his murder. Just like Stingtalon had said, their scent, along with the smell of the ThornTribe toms was washed right off. Hiddenstar and the Warriors thought he had tried to escape captivity and drowned in the process. If only Naiyapaw could explain to them what was really going on. Sadly, that would also mean she'd have to come clean about befriending a Slave, leaving camp at night, and hiding a strange stone that only lit up when she approached or touched it. Berylpaw would suffer the same consequences. Naiyapaw wouldn't let that happen.

The apprentice rolled over in her nest with a sigh and jolted at the crack that met her ears. The Apprentice's Den was chilly and uncomfortable, just as it had been every night since Zirconsight's death. Titanpaw was out hunting with the others. She felt uneasy knowing that the rest of the toms were in the presence of two heartless killers, desperately set on taking over StoneTribe and discovering the stone that she was needlessly trying to conceal.

Berylpaw was awake in the moss next to her, blinking two distracted purple eyes. Her friend had sunken into a state of constant panic. Even though Naiyapaw wished she could do something to help the once cheerful calico, she knew that Berylpaw's trust among the tribe had been crushed. What if other traitors walked among them?

A strong gust of wind swept into the burrow, causing the pair of she-cats to tremble. A flurry of browning leaves danced across the ground. The trees in camp were bare now, heightening the anticipation of an early snow. Hiddenstar had warned the tribe that prey was becoming scarce. The birds that usually stayed during the green-leaf season had fled in search of warmer weather. The voles were starting to retreat into their burrows. The Hunters were coming back with less and less food when the sun rose. Eventually, their baskets would no longer be needed.

"Hey Naiyapaw?" Berylpaw whispered after a moment, her voice hoarse and tired.

The striped brown she-cat turned her attention to her friend, "Yeah?"

"Do you think we could go out and see Vixen? I can't sleep."

Naiyapaw nodded her head and got to her paws. The two hadn't managed to see their forbidden pal as often as they wanted to. The Guards and their apprentices were on constant vigil, occasionally catching them outside the den when they tried. Their petty excuses wouldn't work forever, so they knew how sneaky they'd have to become.

"We have to be really quiet this time. Voltfang was ordered to patrol the inside of the camp tonight," Naiyapaw reminded softly, her ears pricking to listen for any signs of movement outside the den.

Berylpaw flicked her tail in response, turning towards the exit and cautiously leaping over a pair of sleeping Warrior's Apprentices. They mumbled groggily but remained within slumber. Naiyapaw followed swiftly and bounded into the frosty night.

Berylpaw was already outside, observing the dark clouded sky and absense of the moon's glow. The leafless trees resembled massive thorns, pricking their way higher and higher into the air. Both she-cats groaned. Their paws were already cold on the ice-like stones.

"It's getting worse... the weather," Berylpaw stated.

Naiyapaw nodded in agreement, "I wouldn't be surprised if leaf-bare greeted us early this year," she replied with a tentative blink.

They huddled in next to each other and peered around the blackened clearing. There was no sign of Voltfang, and the Guards were standing watch by the main camp entrance. If they were swift, they'd be able to get out without notice.

"How are your siblings doing?" Berylpaw asked suddenly, causing Naiyapaw to frown. Her friend had never really pondered about the other kits before, and when she did, it was because she was bored and had nothing else to talk about.