Chapter 1: Walls are Paper Thin

Cecelia's POV:
___________________________________________
I stood looking in my mirror. I couldn't believe it, today was the day. The first day of conditioning for my junior year. It was finally happening, no more junior varsity, I was in the big leagues. Okay so maybe that was a bit of an exaggeration but to me, this is a big deal. I finally have a chance to prove myself.

"You ready?" Dad says standing in my doorway.

"Definitely not," I say nervously. I mean it too. I'm scared I'm gonna mess up this chance.

"C'mon you'll be fine. It doesn't matter anyway. It's time to go and the captain can't be late for the first practice!" He practically screams pulling me down the stairs and out the door.

"It's only conditioning calm down," I order playfully. I swear he is as excited as I am. Though he definitely isn't as nervous. He laughs and puts the truck in reverse.

It's official. I. Am. This. Years. Starting. Quarterback. No big deal but, I'm also the captain! Coach is a good man but I'm not sure I'm ready for all that responsibility. It was one thing doing this on junior varsity because nobody was really watching. On varsity, though, everybody's watching. It's a big deal in my town. I think we should call it footballlandia. I'm kidding, it's Wintervale. Oh and contrary to what's in the name, no there is no snow ever. It's the middle of Georgia for heaven's sake.

We're at Redwood High's Athletic Complex faster than I thought we'd be. My nerves have officially jumped off the tracks.

"Relax sweetheart you'll do just fine, love you!" He says, kissing the top of my head.

"I know daddy thanks, love you too." I get out of the truck and start toward the stadiums. Wow really, I haven't called him daddy in over 3 years.

I'm halfway to the doors and I hear Wesley, one of my wide receivers.

"What's up?" I say. My voice is smoother than I thought it'd be.

"Getting ready to head to the locker rooms. You pumped?" He asks.

"Yes," I lie. "Pumped as ever."

"Good, I'll see you on the field, captain." He winks at me and walks away.

I sigh. I know that wink meant nothing. It was just him playing around. I've known him since 7th grade and I'm pretty sure he still thinks I'm a guy. It doesn't help I don't have any friends that are girls, my best friend is a guy.

I think 7:00 is a bit early but it's not up to me what time we do this. It's mid-June and we have conditioning five days a week until school starts. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday we have it twice a day. In the morning from 7:00-9:00 and in the evenings 4:00-5:30. Tuesday and Thursday we have a "little break" as Coach put it. Once from 10-12:30.

I take my gear and walk into a stall to change. There's a loud bang and I hear voices.

"-she can come in here and act all that! Ugh, it's ridiculous!"

"Look Linds, you and everyone else never paid attention to her, hell we barely even knew she existed. I'm sure she'll mess up and be on her way before you know it."

I know those voices. Lindsay Baker and Brittany Coleman. Cheerleaders. They appear to be talking about me. You'd think that through concrete and metal I wouldn't hear them but no, they're that loud.

"She's a girl! She shouldn't be able to play football! Let alone be captain and quarterback! It took me 7 years to get to where I'm at now. She has been playing what, 2 years? Please, she'll be a social outcast before she can say hike!" Lindsay says and the girls burst out laughing.