Chapter 31: Semifinals and Semi Confused

Cecelia's POV: 
____________________________________________
"Are you nervous?"

"Of course not! Don't be ridiculous," I snap.

I see Ashton's eyes crinkle and I know he's holding back his amusement. He continues fiddling with the strap on his bag and I throw a Gatorade bottle at his head in annoyance. He gives me a look and I smile sweetly at him.

Of course I'm nervous, it's the semifinals. I'd be worried if I wasn't nervous. I'm scared that I'll lead my team to failure. This could be our last game of the season if we don't pull through. I'm scared it could end tonight.

"I'm scared," I admit hesitantly to him.

He looks up from the couch with a small smile. "Of course you're scared. I'm scared. We're all scared," he says. "We can do this though. We have the skills, we have the determination. All we have to do is play our asses off."

"You make it sound so fun," I reply dryly as I sink into the couch next to him.

He tilts his head and gives me a goofy smile. "Oh, it's a blast."

I smile softly back at him and we sit in silence for awhile. I can't say that everything has been the same since we said I love you, because it hasn't. It still feels like we're best friends, but better. So much better.

I blush a lot easier, which is not a comfortable feeling for me. He enjoys it though. He also decided he can kiss me whenever he wants. Which I don't exactly mind. We, or should I say he because its his problem, still haven't told anyone.

"Hey Ash?"

"Hmm," he mumbles, his eyes closed.

"I feel like somethings going to go wrong," I confide.

He grabs my hand and turns towards me. "During the game? Like someone is going to get hurt?"

"No, just in general."

"Nothing is going to happen that isn't meant to," he finally decides.

"Thank you, oh wise one," I joke.

He pulls me closer and press his lips to my forehead. "Anytime angel."

I turned towards him, slightly surprised. "Nicknames? I wasn't aware we were doing nicknames."

"Me either," he chuckles, blushing. "It kinda just slipped out."

"Well, I like it."

He gives me a cheeky grin, but before he can respond the phone rings. I sluggishly get up and pull the house phone off the hook. "Hello?"

"Ah, I missed your voice."

I'm pretty sure my jaw is on the floor. I pull the phone back and stare at it as if it were alien. I hesitantly put it back to my ear. He's chuckling and if I weren't so dazed I'd probably roll my eyes.

"Dad?"

"Hey sweetie," he greets.

I don't speak for a couple beats. Ashton comes over and leans against the wall in concern. I watch his forehead crease and I focus on that and not freaking out.