009 ::: Never Ignore

I am dedicating this chapter to MartinaGarcia1 for being the first person to vote for this story! Thank you! And thank you to everyone else for reading my story!

Enjoy! :) <3

I was freezing.

Late into the night after I had finally drifted off to sleep, Xaler had slipped into the bed next to me. The minute he fell asleep himself, I quietly slipped out of the bed and settled onto the couch that sat at the opposite end of the room. Not wanting to take the chance of waking him up, I left blankets and pillows behind and the leather couch did little to help me retain my body heat. So, I had to endure the chilly air that was purposely kept at a low temperature due to the beasts having a higher than normal, at least for a human, body temperature.

They were always so hot. Any time Xaler's skin touched mine, flames erupted and not in a good way. Almost as if my skin would melt and slide off of my bones. I tried to touch him, or let him touch me, as little as possible. Which is why I left the bed; as soon as he was laying next to me his arm found its way across my waist, igniting my body in a scorching heat causing me to sweat. Even now when I was shivering on the couch, I forced myself not to miss the heat he supplied.

He was the enemy.

They all were. And always will be.

At some point, I must've stopped shivering so much that my body was able to drift back into unconsciousness. My serenity was short-lived, however. Strong hands tore my body away from the couch, the bare skin that had made contact with the leather now throbbing from the separation. Quickly blinking my groggy eyes, I made contact with the green ones I have come to hate with every fiber of my being. His face was stone and his lips were pressed into a hard frown while his eyebrows dived downwards.

"You sleep with me," was all he said. He less than gently threw me onto the bed circling both of his arms around my waist and pulled my back flush against his chest. His nose rested on the base of my neck. I could hear the rumble of low and distant growls as he breathed in and out behind me.

The quickness of it all left me speechless. Knowing what he would do if I even tried to defy him or argue, I laid there silently. Silently wishing for death. Silently crying at what my life has turned into. Silently letting the tears falling, silently and secretly hoping they would drown me. Because they sure as hell weren't going to wash away my fears or sadness.

I wasn't able to fall back to sleep after. For one, my body was aflame. Secondly, the man I most despised was currently holding me, cradling me as if I had any shred of love for him. My eyes settled on the stars that shone brightly outside the window. Flickering in the midnight black sky without a care in the world.

I was jealous.

I was jealous of a flaming ball of gas that would eventually die out. We all were so much like stars; we all have our time here in this universe. Some of us are bigger and shine brighter than the others, but no star tries to snuff the flame from another. Unlike us, all of us, both humans and wolves.

That's all we did; seek out each other's flame for the sole purpose of taking it for ourselves. It was sickening. The wolves won that battle. I haven't had a flame since they completely took over and destroyed life as we knew it.