epilogue.

Pulling up to the road that leads to my house brings a wave of emotions I wasn't ready for. Being back, being at the place it all began, being home; I wasn't ready for it.

Bucky is by my side once we exit the car, his fingers tangled in mine as we walk down the deserted path to my house. He's quiet, taking in the nature around us as we go. He's a city boy, he really hasn't spent much time in a rural area like this. Well, besides Wakanda I guess.

As we approach the familiar land I once lived in, I feel goosebumps tickle my skin. Bucky finally speaks up, "Whoa."

"What?"

He points with his metal index finger, "Are you doing that?"

I follow his gaze and see a bed of red flowers sprouting just a little way down. I look back at the goosebumps on my arm, "Yeah. But I'm not meaning too."

"What are you feeling?" He asks, his thumb rubbing on the back of my hand.

"Love," I speak before I think. I shake my head, "That was really cliche. I just - I don't know. This place is special to me, and so are you. I guess I'm just a little overwhelmed."

"I'm glad we're here," he nods contently.

"Over there," I point to the house that has come into view, "That's it."

We continue the short walk there, memories of being scared and confused about who I was flooding my mind. So much has changed since I was last here.

When we walk up, I motion to the open field right in front of the house, "That's where Nat and Stark landed to jet. I had never seen something so big in my life."

He smiles as he looks around. I break apart from him, heading for the door of the house. I'm not surprised that this place is still abandoned. It's really in the middle of nowhere. I'm surprised that I found it in the first place.

I open the door of the shack like house slowly, some of the rabbits that nest around this area coming out from behind the walls. They run up to me, sniffing my feet before bolting away at Bucky's presence. He laughs lightly, "I guess we never really get to see you interact with animals in the city."

"They just like me," I shrug, looking back at him, "I don't have a connection to them or anything."

"It'd be cool if you did," He grins at me. I smile back, "Yeah, that would be wicked, huh?"

We continue to walk through the house, everything exactly as I left it a year and a half ago. However, now there is a collection of spider webs and some nests around. I'm glad that the wildlife have made themselves a home here.

"This is really it," I sigh, looking around the cold, dark house. "I didn't have much."

He walks up behind me, his arms encasing my body, "I like seeing where you were before us," He admits, "I can pretty much picture you walking around here."

I smile, leaning into him, "I never thought I would leave. I thought that this was my life forever."

"I know what that feels like," His chest rumbles against my back. I know he does. I remember us visiting that apartment building in Romania vividly. That was one of the first nights I realized how hard I was falling for him.

"Come on," I pull away from him, tugging at his wrist as I start to move.

He lets me drag him outside, the familiar lake that lived in my backyard causing tears to spring in my eyes. They disappear right away, but I can't help but feel overwhelmed. This was my favorite place in the world.