eight.

My eyes shoot up with a gasp as I lose my footing for a second. I catch myself before I fall, water falling down my back and in front of my face. I look around the small and enclosed space, realizing I'm naked. I'm in the shower.

I breathe heavily as I look around, feeling the hot water run down my back and see the white tiles surrounding me. It feels so real.

I turn off the water, stepping out of the shower. I wrap a towel around my body, surveying the bathroom I've never been in before. Where am I?

I notice a phone on the sink so I pick it up, unlocking it seeing the time. 9:15 am.

I put it back down, wiping the condensation off of the mirror and gasping when I see myself.

My hand runs through my wet hair as I lean forward, studying the brown locks carefully. I lean in even closer, looking at my brown eyes.

I feel my heart race as I raise my hand, trying to grow a flower. But nothing happens. I don't feel the usual movement through my arms or the tingle through my veins. I don't have any powers.

I open the door of the bathroom quickly, walking into a bedroom that I assume is mine. I pick up the clothes that are laid out on my bed and put them on. I open the door of the bedroom and enter a small living room and kitchen. Is this my apartment?

I walk in cautiously, scanning the area around me.

"Adelaide-"

I jump, turning quickly and looking at the person who just entered with wide eyes. Her hair is the same brown as mine, and so are her eyes. I gulp as she raises her eyebrows at me, "Someone's jumpy."

"Anastasia," I gulp again, "Sorry. I just didn't sleep well last night."

"Anastasia?" She scoffs, "Are you mad at me or something?"

"Why would I be mad?" I ask, studying her.

"You only call me that when you're mad," She chuckles, "I guess I'm just used to you calling me Ana."

I shrug, "You just startled me."

"Right." She walks past me, heading to the kitchen and pulling the coffee pot out of it's maker, "I just spoke to mum and dad. They had to reschedule so we're going out to dinner tomorrow and not tonight."

My breath gets caught in my throat, "Mum?"

Anastasia looks at me, her brows furrowed, "Yes. We were supposed to get dinner with them tonight, remember? You should really start writing stuff down."

She pours her coffee into a to-go up, "Hey, can you hand me my badge?"

I turn around, seeing the piece of leather on the coffee table. I walk over to it and pick it up. I open it slowly, my eyes widening at the HYDRA symbol. My eyes scan over her ID. Agent Anastasia Morris. HYDRA HOMELAND STRATEGIC DEFENSE.

I close it quickly, turning around and handing it to her.

"You're acting weird," she shakes her head, "Maybe take a nap before you do anything else today."

"Yeah, maybe I will," I nod. If I had my thorns, they would be on full display right now.

"Alright, I'm out," She waves, opening the front door, "Enjoy your day off!"

The door slams shut and my hands go to my hair, "Oh, my God."

"Okay, let's straighten somethings out," I say to myself, pacing, "I live with Anastasia. Neither of us have our powers. She works for HYDRA," I stop, "Mum is alive."