sixteen.

BUCKY BARNES POINT OF VIEW

"Buck."

"My God," The old man says, staring me down, "You were right."

"Steve, go," The familiar woman urges him. I just watch in confusion, something stopping me from completing my mission. "He's not going to remember you. You have to jump."

Kill hostiles. No prisoners. The Doctor's orders.

"But-" The man shakes his head, staring at me with wide eyes. Go, soldier. Kill them.

She grips onto him, "Steve, please. You will see him on the other side. Just go."

Steve?

He nods, looking at me one more time. Go, Soldier. Kill them. "Keep him safe over there, okay? I'm going to try and get him through the backdoor. Don't let him be mad at himself for this."

"I will," He nods. To my surprise, he jumps off the edge. One target remaining.

Her eyes meet mine again, "Hey, bud. Want to jump in with me?"

Kill target.

I charge at her, throwing my fists roughly. She blocks both of my punches.

"Bucky, stop," She continues to dodge or block every blow. "Please."

Bucky. I don't know that name but when she says it, an image flashes behind my eyes but disappears before I can get a good look.

She's trying to distract you. Finish the mission.

"Stop calling me that," I grunt. Her face switches to an emotion I have no business trying to read.

I go to swing again but she slides in between my legs, standing up behind me. I turn and don't hesitate to kick her in the chest. She flies backwards, hitting the ground hard. Spikes erupt from her skin, causing her to scream in agony.

This is wrong.

She gets distracted by a gunshot, giving me an open opportunity. I swing my boot up her chin, making her cry out in pain. Oh, God. What am I doing?

Another shot goes off but she doesn't look back this time. I stand over her, images of her laughing and smiling now surfacing. I breathe heavily, blinking to try and get rid of them.

She slowly stands up, tears hitting her cheeks, "I'm not going to fight you, Bucky."

"You should," It clicks inside of me again. Finish the mission.

I swing my metal fist at my mission, colliding it with her jaw. Green blood splatters from her. Why isn't she fighting back? Why is she letting me do this? Fight me back.

"No," She looks back at me. Her voice is broken and shaky. "Because this isn't you."

Rage boils inside of me. This is me. This is the only me there has ever been. I go to step towards her again, to finish the mission, but she pushes her hands out. A force pushes me back, taking me off guard.

I try to fight it, planting my feet heavily on the metal under me. I try to walk into it and get to her, trying to block it with my arms, but I can't. The force is too strong.

The force stops and I stumble forward for a moment, the pressure suddenly gone. I glare up at her, seeing her in a whole new light. I know her. I know her well.