Chapter 14

A week had gone by and Logan still wasn't talking to me. I was giving him space like he wanted and he was obviously giving me some as well. Over the past week, though, he's come to all the pack dinners and as they warmed up around him and vice versa, they seemed to accept him. 

       Mackenzie still wasn't sure where she fit in anymore, as she had been Luna for several years. Logan asked her what she was doing before she became Luna and when she answered that she was a scout, Logan told her that she can just go back to doing that. The wall of ice that the pack members had built around Logan slowly melted down and they became more acquainted with him. 

        He gave out the orders, like an Alpha was supposed to and expected each of us to do our duties sufficiently. He didn't change anyone's ranks, which I could tell pleased my brother, for he worked hard to get up to the top Gamma position as Beta. 

         When I spoke to Abby while she was helping me clean the dishes, she admitted that she told me that she wouldn't mind Logan taking a chunk out of her. Her words, not mine. I shuddered at the image her words created in my mind.

        It was my birthday tomorrow and Mom and Dad had surprised me by asking to speak with me after I was done with the dishes. When I finished putting up the last of them, I went to meet my parents in the living room. They were both sitting next to each other on the couch.

       As I sat at the chair across from them, I stared at the couple that I had called Mom and Dad growing up. They took me in and raised me, but these past few years, I saw no trace of the father that used to joke with me and run around the yard with me, playing tag. I only caught glimpses of the loving side of my headstrong mother now. She'd occasionally send me a warm look, but it has been awhile since we've spoken. 

       Though these two weren't my biological parents, that's the way I saw them growing up, but now I wasn't sure what to call them. They weren't a huge part of my life like they once were.

       My mother spoke first. "It's your birthday tomorrow," she said, stating the obvious. I nodded and Dad took over whatever Mom was about to say.

       "Since you're turning twenty four, we think it's best that you go ahead and mate. We've already arranged it and the ceremony will take place on Sunday." I felt the blood drain from my face as I blanched. I couldn't be mated. I wasn't ready. I was about to voice my thoughts, but what came out of my mouth was completely different than what I had intended.

        "With who?" My mother smiled kindly at me and said "This is the part I think you'll be excited about. We've arranged for you to mate with Gage!" She sounded completely giddy. I swallowed the lump in my throat. They were doing exactly what I didn't want them to. They were arranging my mating ceremony. 

       At least it was with Gage and not some stranger that I didn't even know, but I wasn't ready for it. 

       "Does Gage know about it," I ask shakily. They both nodded and Mom said "We told him about it a couple weeks ago. He was reluctant at first but we talked him into it." My heart sped up. Gage already knew and he didn't tell me. It seems like he didn't even want to do it, but my parents "talked" him into it. Did they bribe him? Blackmail I'm? Does he even actually like me? What if he was doing this for my parents satisfaction?

        The last thought brought a pang to my chest. I let out a dry sob. It was like I still wasn't wanted, even after all this time. I wanted to talk to Gage but he wasn't at dinner. I didn't have any idea where he was and after I got up and walked absentmindedly to my room, he didn't answer any of the texts I sent him either.