Chapter 8

I walked away from him. I couldn't believe how he was acting. We just got suspended from school and his first reaction was to pull his moves on me? There was no way in hell I was doing that. Besides, I told Gage just last night that now wasn't a good time. I'd much rather go out with Gage than Logan. Hell, I'd go out with Ryan before I did anything with Logan. 

       I planned on walking home. I wanted to shift and run home but I actually liked this outfit and I was running low on clothing choices at this point. 

       Why was he acting so weird though? He didn't like me before so what changed? It couldn't be because I broke Mandy's wrist could it? Because that would just be morbid and sadistic. I admit that I felt a pull towards him, like gravity was pushing us together, but there was no way I was letting that happen. 

        There were many reasons that I shouldn't give in. First, he was an Alpha and I was an Omega. Second, he was a terrible person. A Lycan for God's sake! Third, if I fell for him, he would only end up breaking my heart. Fourth, he killed a member of my pack. I didn't give a damn if it was an Alpha's challenge and one of them would end up dead anyway. I was finally being accepted by Cody. Not to mention that Logan almost killed me on the same night, and broke my arm.

        I walked down the road and I was so caught up in my thoughts that when I finally looked around, I had no idea where I was. I was in front of what looked like an abandoned house. The windows and front door was boarded up and the grass was overgrown. I was literally in the middle of freaking nowhere. How did I end up here? I sighed and sat on the cement step.

       I opened my palm and looked at the charm. It was a tiny hourglass filled with fine sand. I felt tears prick my eyes when I thought of my lost parents.

       I never knew them and I don't even know if they're still alive. Mom and Dad (the adopted ones) had sat me down and explained everything to me when I was twelve. I had taken it all in stoically. I didn't feel like I needed my real parents back then. That was when the pack still loved me and it was before my first shift. 

       That's when Mom gave me the necklace. She said that she promised my real mom that she would give it to me when I was of age to take care of it. I put it on and never took it off. 

       I scooted over to the brick column that supported the overhang of the house. It started to drizzle and even with my hoodie on, I felt cold. I pulled my arms inside of it and brought my knees to my chest, stretching the hoodie to cover my legs too. I wrapped my arms around my legs and laid me head on my knees, leaning against the column.

        I wished that I could just forget everything bad that has happened to me. I knew that I couldn't though. Where would we all be if we were always happy and jolly with no struggle in our lives? We'd be stuck up and bratty, always wanting things our way. Our problems are what give us character and courage and I loved those qualities in strong people. I envied them. 

       I sighed and closed my eyes, listening to the pitter-patter of the rain against the tin roof of the house. It was so soothing and calm and I wanted to stay here forever.

       I must have fallen asleep because when I woke up, it was completely dark. It was still raining and I squinted my eyes to look at the headlights coming down the road. I looked around, confused at where I was and then I remembered what happened.

       I slowly stood up and realized that the rain was pounding down now. I saw lightning in the distance and started counting out of habit. 1, 2, 3, 4. Boom. The storm was four miles away. I should get home. Once I figured out which direction it was in. I pulled my hood over my head and started walking back the way I came. The dirt road was muddy under my feet.