Chapter 20

Logan's P.O.V.

       I instantly shifted back and grabbed Shyanne's arm, whirling her to face me. "What the hell are you doing? You're not going with them. I forbid it." I wasn't going to let my mate get killed. 

       She looked up at me with desperation and courage in her eyes. I saw no trace of fear or doubt there. "I don't care. I'm not letting our pack be wiped out because of me. If they want me then I'll let them take me."

       I stared at her beautiful face, wondering when she went insane. "Absolutely not Shyanne. You're staying here." Her eyes grew hard and she gestured towards the strangers. "We're outnumbered Logan. My life is a small price to pay in order to keep our pack alive. Isn't that what you pledged as an Alpha? To protect your pack at all costs? This is what you have to pay for their safety." 

       I locked my jaw. I didn't give a damn how stubborn she was, she wasn't going with them. "No. Because I also pledged my protection to you. I'm not going to break that vow within the first two hours. You're staying here." 

       "I'm going with them. I'll be okay Logan. I'm a big girl. I can handle myself," she argued. I huffed a breath of air and then turned back to the lycan leader.

       "Why do you want her," I asked. 

       "She is the one who will save our pack. We need her powers. We do not intend to harm her, but we don't know how long we must keep her," the lycan rumbled. I turned back to Shyanne.

       "Are you sure?" She nodded confidently and I turned back again. "Okay. I have one condition though. My brother and I will come as well." 

       "We do not have orders to bring along stragglers," the lycan said. I shook my head. "Then the deal is off." 

       The unfamiliar lycan turned and conversed quietly with his closest pack members. Then he turned back to face us. "Alright. You may accompany us. We need to leave as soon as possible." I nodded once and looked down at Shyanne.

       "Let's go then," she said. I glanced back to my brother who walked up to us. Suddenly, a cry rang out from our pack. Elizabeth raced forward and came to stand beside us. "Im coming too," she stated. Shyanne looked at her mother in surprise.

       "Mom, you don't have to. You need to stay here," Shyanne pleaded. Her mother shook it off and locked arms with her adopted daughter. 

       "We should take our leave now. They're waiting for us." She started pulling her daughter forward and I looked back at Jeremy. "You're in charge while I'm gone. Don't fuck anything up," I told him. The corner of his mouth tilted up slightly and he nodded once. "Yes sir, Alpha logan." I turned back and walked forward with my brother, mate, and Elizabeth. 

       I sent a quick prayer up to the moon gods and goddesses, even though I wasn't the one for religious things like this. Please let us live through this.