Chapter 22

Logan's P.O.V.

      I sat, tense and anxious in the living room. Hunter stepped out of the office and went into another door in the hallway. I was tempted to jump up and see if Shyanne was okay, but I could hear her heartbeat. It was normal for Lycans and their mates to do that, but I don't think Shyanne has discovered it yet. I'd have to tell her everything tonight, now that she was officially mine.

      A moment later, a blonde woman came out of the door that Hunter had disappeared into and then went to the office door where Shyanne was waiting. Hunter came out behind the blonde and walked into the living room where we were all seated, the tension so thick, you could slice it with a knife.

       "Shyanne will be out in a moment. She wanted to have a word with Paisley, our secretary," Hunter explained. 

       I tried to listen but I couldn't hear anything from the hallway and it was intensely frustrating. Suddenly, Shyanne's heart was hammering and I jumped up. Something was wrong. Her heart spluttered to a stop and I ran to the door, ignoring Hunter's warning. Her heart started again but I wouldn't feel reassured until I saw her myself. 

      I opened the door, and Shyanne was sitting beside the Salutary, whose name I had already forgotten, eyes wide. She turned to look at me. "Are you okay," I asked, throwing a questioning glance at the blonde. Shyanne conposed herself and nodded. 

      "Yes Logan. I'm perfectly fine. Nothing's wrong," she said calmly. She stood and looked at the blonde. "I'm done with the questions now. Thank you Paisley," she said. The blonde, I mean Paisley, smiled and stood up too. Shyanne walked to me and took my hand in hers. 

       I could feel her trembling and I looked down at her in concern. "What is it? Why are you shaking," I asked her quietly. She shook her head. 

       "Nothing is wrong love. I told you I'm fine. I'm just a bit cold," she mumbled. She claimed that she was cold but the sweat beading on her forehead said otherwise. I dropped it for now, but I wasn't going to let it go. 

       Along with hearing her heartbeat, I could feel her fear. She was afraid of something, but I didn't know what it was. As soon as this mess was over, I was taking her home so she wouldn't have to be scared anymore. 

      We arrived in the living room once again. Hunter stood up. You all must be exhausted, so I will show you where you'll all be staying." He led us to a staircase and up the stairs, down a lengthy hallway and gestured to the three doors on the end. 

      "Logan and Shyanne, you can stay in there, Lukas in here, and Elizabeth may stay in here," he said, directing us towards the rooms. "There are also some spare clothes, since Paisley was expecting you guys, so feel free to rummage around in the dressers and wardrobe."

      Shyanne gripped my hand even harder and we walked into the bedroom. As soon as we were in, I shut the door behind me and whirled around to face her. "Tell me what's wrong."

      Something flashed in her eyes but it was gone as quickly as it came. "I already told you that it was nothing. I'm okay." 

      "Cut the bullshit Shyanne! I know you're scared of something, just tell me what it is!" She flinched a little while I yelled at her. She silently stood up and walked to the dresser, opening the drawer and pulling out some clothes. Without another word, she went into the dark bathroom that had the door ajar and shut it behind her. A moment later, I heard the shower running.

      I blew out a breath. It was unbearably aggravating that she wouldn't tell me what was bothering her. I collapsed on the bed and tried to calm down, feeling out for her emotions. I sat up when I felt pain wash over me, but it was emotional. There was also fear, resilience, and determination within her but the pain overwhelmed it all.

       I sighed and stood up. The bathroom door was surprisingly unlocked and I realized that it didn't have a lock on it. I stripped and then stepped into the shower. She looked at me in surprise, and it hurt to see that she had been crying. The shower water could disguise the tears, but her eyes weren't all red and puffy like that after a shower.

       Without asking any questions or saying anything, I took her into my arms and held her. The questions could wait until later. Right now, my mate was hurting, and I needed to help her.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

       After we were in bed, we lay there facing each other under the thin sheet. I had just finished telling Shyanne about the powers that we gained through the mating ritual.

       She looked at me with wide eyes, her plump lips in the shape of an "o". "Really? Can we like, read each others mind and everything too," she asked. I chuckled softly and shook my head. 

       "No, love. Also… if you were a normal wolf, and I was your mate, you'd kind of be turning into a lycan by now. Once a lycan bites their mate, they start to morph into a lycan, kind of like how, when a werewolf bites their human mate, they turn into a werewolf, but since you're a Caster wolf, you don't change." 

       A small smile graced her lips as she looked at me through her long thick lashes. "That's good. I wouldn't want to change. I like the way my wolf looks, and no offense but lycans are kind of…" She trailed off with a thoughtful expression as she tried to find the right word, so I helped her out.

       "Ugly? Monsters? Beasts?" 

       She shook her head. "No. Not at all. They're just different. It's weird to see a wolf-like creature walking around on two legs like a normal human being. Lycans are actually nice to look at. Like you and Lukas for example."

       My nostrils flared at her comparison. I shifted positions so that I was hovering above her, trapping her between my arms with our faces barely inches apart. "Have you been checking out my brother? Because I will gladly get rid of any sign of competition." I wouldn't really hurt Luke. Unless he really was an actual threat to me when it came to my mate. 

       Her lips quirked up to smirk at me. "It's hard not to. He's incredibly gorgeous, and fun to hang out with," she said in all seriousness, but I could see the playful glint in her eye.

       I tilted my head a little. "How is that," I asked, waiting for her answer. She smiled widely when she answered.

       "Well, he has nice hair and his green eyes just make me want to melt. He's nicer than you are sometimes and he's a lot more laid back and playful," she said, putting a little too much emphasis on the last word.

        I growled and leaned in closer. "I beg to differ. Let's see just how much better he is when I get done with you." She giggled and I smashed my lips against hers. She wrapped her arms around my neck, pressing our bare chests together. 

       It got more heated really fast, and we both drowned in complete ecstasy as we made love.