Chapter 27

Logan's P.O.V.

       I watched in horror as she fell to the ground. It felt like my heart quite literally stopped, or maybe it was just hers. I don't know what she did, but the lycans that were threatening us had disappeared and were nowhere in sight. 

       The invisible shield that had been keeping us in was no longer there and I quickly rushed over to her. I fell beside where she was slumped on the ground and pressed my hand to the bleeding in her stomach to stop it. Her eyes fluttered and she looked up at me with a weak smile.

        My eyes were burning but I ignored it, fixed solely on the purpose of helping her. She grunted when I put more pressure on the wound, but I didn't care. If it saved her life then she would have to deal with a little more pain.

        I began to panic as her blood seeped through my fingers. It wasn't slowing down. "Logan," she whispered weakly. I looked down at her beautiful blue eyes, savoring the feel of holding her.

        "What is it baby?" My voice cracked and I knew what was coming. I couldn't stop the bleeding. This was it for her. She lifted her trembling, delicate fingers to my face. 

        "It's my time. I've known it was coming for a while now," she said with a small smile. I swallowed the lump in my throat, feeling the tears fall. "Don't cry love," she said softly. That only made me cry harder. 

       "Logan," she whispered again. I opened my eyes and looked at her. "I love…" 

       She didn't get to finish her sentence. Her eyes glazed over and her body grew limp, her hand falling to my lap. I felt a sob rise up in my throat. It wasn't pretty either, but I didn't care. I pulled her up in my lap and cried, letting the tears fall on her face. She was gone. She'd been my mate for less than a month and I'd already lost her.

        I felt a small hand clamp down on my shoulder and looked up to see Elizabeth. Tears were streaming down her cheeks. She knelt down beside me. She wrapped her arm around my shoulder and cried with me. I don't know how long we stayed there like that, but when I calmed down and looked around, Xavier and Luke were standing around us, somber expressions on their faces. 

        I pressed one last kiss to her soft lips and closed her eyes, knowing that it would be the last time I ever saw those deep ocean blues look back at me, filled with love and determination.

                                             ~~~~~~~~~~

        They drove us home that night in their SUV. My eyes were red and swollen from the tears I had shed. Once we got home, almost everyone was shocked and crying to see Shyanne's lifeless body and hear the horrid story of how she died. Aaliyah didn't bat so much as an eye when we told it. She just got up and stayed locked up in her room. Henry was upset to have lost the daughter that wasn't even his biologically. Jeremy was even worse.

       The pack had all mourned over the loss of Shyanne. After everyone dispersed, I went into my room. It felt empty and huge without Shyanne. I sat on the bed and remembered the last time she had been in here. 

       It was the day that we had performed the binding ceremony. She had looked absolutely beautiful in her dress that day with a sweet and ecstatic smile on her face. I swallowed yet another lump that seemed to be lodged in my throat ever since she left me. I sat up, not feeling quite comfortable.

       I stood up and walked down the hall, pausing before I turned the knob on her door. I took a deep breath and opened it, stepping into the room. The first time I breathed in, it felt like being hit with a shit ton of bricks.