Chapter 35: The Pains of a Broken Heart

Chapter 35

The Pains of a Broken Heart

Ever so slowly the season had changed from summer to fall, and the crisp air descended upon the castle. The golden sunlight coming from the setting sun did little to warm the cool weather and most peasants were searching for whatever extra clothes they could find to warm themselves.

However, Ytone was only wearing a leather jerkin and breeches. The breeze felt good on her skin as she grasped a practice sword in her left hand. Her right forearm was firmly strapped to her abdomen and wet blonde hair clung to her face.

She was circling Rith, a discerning look in her intense blue eyes. She lunged suddenly and Rith easily batted her strike away with a laugh.

The Commoner’s Commander had taken his shirt off halfway through the training session. Now only a leather pauldron covered his left shoulder and vambraces protected his forearms. His torso was glistening with sweat and he let out another chuckle when the Scout scowled.

Every time Ytone managed to get a hit on the commander, he somehow turned so her training sword was deflected off his shoulder guard. How he did it, she had no idea. All she knew was that it was becoming very, very, very frustrating. 

Swinging her sword at his neck with all her might, he lifted his arm to block it, only to have Ytone change directions at the last second and hit him firmly on his chest.

A grunt escaped Rith’s mouth as he staggered back and it took all of Ytone’s self-control to not go and beat him with the hardwood toy he called a sword. Instead she settled for a triumphant smile.

As Rith removed his hand from his chest, the smile slipped off of Ytone’s face when she saw the angry red mark on his chest.  Did she do that? Oops.

“Are you alright?” she asked testily, walking over to him. She did not miss the grimace that he was able to quickly turn into a smile.

Grinning, he patted her on the back. “Never been better,” he said cheerfully. “I think I had forgotten what pain felt like, considering how long it took you to get a strike on me.”

That earning him another slap, this time on his unprotected shoulder. Rolling her eyes, Ytone said, “I think we should be done; it’s almost dark out.”

Something changed in Rith’s eyes and he nodded. “I’ll see you tomorrow, bright and early. We’ll start earlier and end earlier hopefully. I don’t like being out past dark.”

Poking him teasingly, Ytone smiled and said, “What? Brave Rith is afraid of the dark?”

She was surprised by the seriousness in his tone. “Only of what lurks within it.”  Pulling her close, Rith gave her a quick kiss on the forehead. “Go straight back to your quarters, Ytone,” he whispered, something like fear in his voice. “Don’t take any detours tonight.”

Before she could comprehend what had just happened, Rith was gone.

As she watched his retreating form disappear into the darkness, a small smile crept across the Scout’s lips and she touched where his lips had touched her skin. Walking back to the armory, she put her practice sword back, thoughts of the strange man from the southern lands running through her mind.

 He was handsome; she would give him that. Ytone was actually quite surprised that he didn’t have women falling at his feet, begging for a single night in bed with the Commoner’s Commander. Perhaps he did and she just didn’t know about it. He was also braver than most of the men she knew back in the mountains. And he was noble; maybe even too noble for his own good.