Chapter 22: Eron

• Dedicated to One of my good friends who thinks Eron is hot

Chapter 22

Eron

"Enoka, Enoka, Enoka," the man tsked. "Did you really think you could get away that easily? You're in my world, girly. And here, things go my way."

The girl, Enoka, lunged for the man, snarling and bearing her teeth like a wild animal. Instantly there were humans holding her back. "And look at this!" laughed, "Our little fire-cat brought friends!"

"Leave them out of this, Eron," Enoka hissed. "They have nothing to do with anything."

Eron laughed. "But you do," he whispered, "and now you've sucked them into it." He began circling her, "So how does it feel? Sucking in innocent people because of your mistakes?"

"It wasn't my mistakes," she growled, "You had no right to come after me."

Suddenly, Eron was inches away from her face. "I have every right," he spat, "I run this city. If I come after you, you come with me. It was as simple as that, but you had to resist."

"Aw," Enoka smiled, fiercely, "did I hurt poor little Eron's pride? What will everyone think when word gets out that the city's most feared black-market leader was bested by a simple peasant girl?"

Sonya watched the whole exchange in horrified fascination as the Eron raised his hand to strike the girl. Suddenly a tattoo palm wrapped around his wrist holding him back. Eron whirled around, and pinned his attacker to a nearby wall by the throat. Sonya's eyes landed on Dearekk's face, his features twisted with rage. The elf green around his pupils had once again taken over the grey, making him look just like and elf.

"Leave her alone," Dearekk spat, "She has a debt? We'll pay it."

Eron chuckled. "An elf would help a human?" he mocked, "What is this world coming to?" He dropped Dearekk to the ground, and Sonya heard him take in a sharp breath. "Besides, you can't help her," Eron sneered. "She tried to steal someth-"

"Succeeded," Enoka spat still restrained by the humans with their faces covered. "I stole it from you, and now you're angry that your reputation got hurt."

"Shut up!" Eron snarled. "Can't you shut up for five minutes, girl? Or do you have talk all the time?" He turned to Dearekk, "Unless you can buy back a status, I suggest you leave, elf-child."

"I am not an elf-child," Dearekk snapped, eyeing Eron with something akin to hate. He lifted his chin with pride. "I am your prince."

There was silence for a moment, and then Eron burst out laughing. "My prince?" he said between laughs. "Oh, I am so very, very, sorry, your Majesty," he mocked. He gave an over exaggerated bow and stepped away from a door into a decrepit building. "Perhaps you would like to talk, my prince," he sneered.

Striding past him, Dearekk walked into the building, his head still held high. Without a second though, Sonya started after him, Enoka right on her heels. Before she could take two steps, humans were in front of her, blocking her way.

"Only the prince and the leader can talk," one rumbled in a low voice. "You must wait outside."

Both Sonya and Enoka began speaking at the same time.

"I've been traveling with him from the beginning!"

"They are talking about me!"

The human raised up his hands. "No one can go in," he said with finality.

Sonya's hands clenched into fists, ready to hit him and run into the building. Knowing Dearekk, he would probably get himself killed in there alone. But right as she was about to pounce, Enoka rested her hand on Sonya's shoulder. Reaching into her pocket, Enoka pulled out a handful of golden coins, her bright blue eyes alight with a mischievous glint.