Chapter 10: Flight

Chapter 10

Flight

(A/N So the picture is kind of an inspiration for this chapter. It is supposed to be Sonya and the butterfly. I haven't really found a picture that fits Sonya (or Dearekk), so if you find one, please tell me! Well, here is the latest chapter. Enjoy!)

The elf girl wouldn’t stop screaming. She kept fighting on Dearekk’s back, trying to break free from his strong grip. If she didn’t shut up soon she would get them both caught and everything would be for nothing.

“Let go! Let me go!” she screamed, and finally he obliged. As soon as she was off his shoulder he clamped his hand around her mouth.

“Shut up!” he hissed, “Your brother sacrificed himself to get you out of here, do you want to kill yourself trying to get back to him?” Slowly and carefully he took his hand off her mouth and looked at her for a reaction.

The elf girl took a deep breath, then looked at him. “What do we do next?” she asked in a whisper.

He let out a sigh. “I’m not quite sure,” he admitted. “I think I know a way out, but I’m not quite sure where it is.” Suddenly his head jerked up. He heard the sound of feet pattering against the floor in the hall. He quickly pulled the girl down beside him and waited for the source to show itself.

            A cluster of guards rushed past them almost silently. Clear quartz arrows glinted in the moonlight that shone through the window. A breath escaped the elf girl, one full of fear and something like awe.

            “Quarries.”

            As the elite guards left, the elf girl turned to Dearekk. “They sent Quarries after us, and not just any Quarries, the advanced ones, the best of the best. We are doomed.”

            Dearekk shrugged. “They are not that bad,” he whispered back to her, “I have trained with them, I don’t think they are better than the elves.”

            “That is because their skills have never been directed against you,” she responded darkly.

            Dearekk was about to retort when something caught his eye; he froze. A lavender light illuminated the room, and a small purple butterfly flew in through the window, It seemed to glow with its own light, and it flew around him until it was hovering right in front of the elf girl.

            She held her breath and in that moment the world stopped and waited in anticipation. The butterfly turned and fluttered out the window.

            “What was that?” Dearekk breathed out.

            The elf girl shook her head. “No ordinary creature.” With those words she took a deep breath and began to scale down the wall. Dearekk leaned out the window and watched her climb down the wall with ease, finding footholds between the old stone slabs.

            “You’re kidding right?” he whispered to himself. She gazed up at him from the ground.

            “What are you waiting for?” she called up, her voice filled with annoyance.

            Dearekk shook his head. “If you think I can do that you’re crazy!” he hissed back down to her.

            “Just do it! Or is the great Prince of Zauluke afraid?” she sneered, mocking his old title. Anger boiled up inside of him, and seeing no other option, he began to climb down the decrepit, old wall.