Chapter 41: The Queen of Dusk

• Dedicated to Alyssa. RIP, my lovely girl.

Chapter 41

The Queen of Dusk

The boy did a leapt to his feet and did a little dance, a shrieking laugh emitting from his mouth.

“Correct!” he giggled, clapping his hands together. “Correct, correct, correct!”

Dearekk would have reacted if he had not been so stunned. This boy, this thing, was possessing him. Did that mean he was in his own mind? “Where are we?” he managed to choke out.

Still sniggering, the boy replied, “Does it really matter?” He cocked his head to the side, glowing aqua eyes studying the half-elf. Suddenly, he jumped into the air and continued to hover a few feet above the ground.

“Let’s play another game!” he said excitedly. He glided over the parched ground, only pausing to glance backward towards Dearekk. “Aren’t you coming?” he asked. Without waiting for an answer, the child shot away into the fog.

Dearekk saw no choice but to follow him.

The mist seemed to swallow the Rebel Prince. He could barely see his young guide ahead of him and fear coursed through his veins every time he lost sight of the floating boy. Eyes often stared at him from the fog and a low growl made his heart stop.

“Revolaton!” he called out. “Rainos! Whatever your name is!” He stopped in his tracks. Terror ripped through his heart. Had the boy left him to die? Had he led him deeper in to this dream realm only to abandon him?

Suddenly a small body appeared right next to him. “What?” came an aggravated voice.

A small yelp of surprise came from the prince and he stumbled back. “I wish you wouldn’t do that…” he muttered underneath his breath, particularly annoyed when the little boy laughed. Pointing out towards the mist he continued, ”What was that?”

The boy instantly became somber. “I suggest we continue,” he whispered. “And I suggest we do it quickly.” He turned to dash away, only for Dearekk to reach out and grab his shoulder, stopping him.

“No,” the Rebel Prince said firmly. “Tell me what that was…now. I’m getting sick of secrets, boy.”

Hissing the boy spat out a few words in a language Dearekk didn’t understand. “Some things are not meant to be known, little prince!” he replied angrily and almost desperately. But when Dearekk did not let him go, the creature gave an angry curse and said, “I am not the only one in this world, Blade-Bearer. And this is not my true form.” For a moment, the boy flickered out of existence, leaving only a glowing blue light in his place before reappearing three feet away from Dearekk.

Gazing at his empty hands in shock, it did not hit Dearekk until a moment later that Revolaton had called him “Blade Bearer.” Running to keep up with the still flying boy, Dearekk said, “You’ve been with me since the beginning, haven’t you?”

“What makes you think that?” the boy replied, not even glancing over his shoulder.

Slowing to a steady jog, Dearekk replied, “You called me Blade-Bearer. Only one who was with me when I received Ventar could know that.”

The little boy shrugged, “I suppose you’re right,” was all he said, not confirming or denying Dearekk’s accusation. Suddenly he whirled around and clapped his hands. “We’re almost there!” he giggled. “Soon you will meet her!”

Dearekk was instantly alert. “Her?” he asked. “Who is ‘her’?” His mind was instantly spinning with thoughts of monsters and magic.

“Shhhh,” the little boy hushed. “Do no upset her. It could lead to your own death. Be very careful and do whatever she asks.”