Chapter 32: Gifts

Chapter 32

Gifts

“I am Revolaton. Fear me.”

The words rang in Sonya’s ears. What did he mean Dearekk was gone? He was Dearekk. A thousand questions ran through Sonya’s head in the span of a single second. Whoever this blue-eyed creature was, it seemed that it was not her friend.

The Seer suddenly flew forward, his hand’s raised and an expression of anger and fear on his features. “Be gone!” the fay bellowed. “Be gone from the body you are possessing!”

Shrinking away, Dearekk let out an inhuman hiss. But slowly, he began to stand, towering over the stunned Seer. “I am Revolaton,” he rumbled, “and this body is now mine.”

As the Seer took a faltering step back, Dearekk took a step forward. His glowing eyes raked across the room, and then froze when then landed Tiaem. The young dwarf girl’s eyes were closed and she seemed to be mouthing something; a prayer to the One.

Suddenly Dearekk let out a roar and lunged towards her. However, when his outstretched hands were inches from her neck, he let out an agonized shriek and he scrambled backwards as if burned. Words of an unknown language slipped out of his mouth like a chant.

Realizing what was happening, Sonya stood and pointed a finger at the half-elf. “In the name of the One, I command you to GET OUT OF HIM!” she said, her voice slowly rising to a shout.

With a screech, Dearekk fell convulsing to the ground. When his body went still, Sonya, the Seer and Nyx all ran towards him. Gently, Sonya shook his shoulder, praying that whatever was possessing her friend was gone. She let out a breath she did not know she had been holding when she found herself staring into a pair of grey eyes with elf green around the pupils.

“Wh…what happened?” Dearekk asked groggily as he sat up, holding his head.

The Seer didn’t skip a beat. “You were possessed,” he stated shortly. “Revolaton. Is it gone?”

“Yes.”

Sonya was certain she was the only one who noticed the hesitation that lasted a fraction of a second in Dearekk’s answer. Looking at him sideways, she noticed that he wouldn’t look her in the eyes.

Pushing through the crowd, Jehue and Risal stepped forward. “Care to explain that?” Risal snapped.

“You know as much as we do,” Nyx retorted angrily.

The dwarf girl shot the Seer a bitter look. “No,” she said resentfully. “I don’t believe we do. Seer, you have Knowledge and Sight. Surely you can tell us something about the events that just happened.”

Shaking his head, the Seer looked frustrated. “Something is blocking my Knowledge,” he replied in an even tone. “When I try to use my powers, it’s like walking into a stone wall.” Turning to face Risal, he spat, “Some things are meant to stay forgotten.”

Before Risal could reply, Jehue stepped in. “Today has been busy,” he did not seem angry, just tired. “I think our guests should rest. Risal, attend to your sister, I will be there in a moment.”

A look of astonishment passed over Risal’s face and she turned and ran to her little sister’s side. Taking Tiaem in her arms, the cleric rocked the younger dwarf in her arms, whispering words of comfort in her ears.

“I’m going to sleep,” Dearekk said slowly, before turning and walking away, Sonya following soon after him.

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------