Chapter 45: The Calling of War

Chapter 45

The Calling of War

(A/N Just a reminder in case you forgot, Quarries are the King’s elite soldiers, known for their clear quartzite weapons. Ok. Enjoy!)

            Enoka raced down the back alleys of Raydale. She leapt over puddles and dodged out of the way of carts rolling down the cobblestone streets.

            Get to Eron. Get to Eron. Zabin’s command ran through her head over and over again like a tribal chant. Get to Eron. Get to Eron.

            She didn’t see the horse galloping towards her until it was too late. A sudden pain whipped through her as the stallion and she collided. Her head slammed against the cobblestones with a sickly thud and the horse’s hoof came crashed not inches away from her head. Sitting up, the red-haired girl touched the back of her head and felt a wet liquid coat her fingers. As she pulled her hand away, she saw crimson blood on her hand. Determined not to waste a moment more, she hopped up to her feet, only to sway like a reed in the wind.

            “Miss!” a man’s voice cried out from her left. “Miss, are you all right?” A hand grasped her arm and held her steady. “The Quarries cut the reigns and my stallion went mad. I’m sorry. I couldn’t control him, miss. By the One, you’re bleeding! Here, come with me and we’ll get you fixed up.”

            Panic hit her harder than the horse did. “No!” she shrieked, jerking her arm out of his grasp. Get to Eron. Get to Eron. “I mean…uh. I have to get somewhere. I’ll be fine.” Without waiting for a response, she turned and dashed down an old alleyway, her feet wobbling underneath her.

            Everything was fading around her and her vision was blurring, but she kept running. Get to Eron. Get to Eron.

            Finally, she arrived at an old wooden door. A sign above read The Silver Gauntlet, but she did not pause to read it. Throwing herself against the door, she stumbled into the tavern. Ignoring the strange looks she was given, she jumped over the bar and raced into the back room.

            There, she saw a head of blonde hair sitting at a table along with a few masked men. Standing up, Eron looked at he in surprise.

            “Sorry for interrupting but—“ that was all Enoka could say before she swayed and collapsed on the ground.

            The black-market leader let out a shout and jumped to his feet. Running over to her, he knelt down and held her in his arms. “You’re bleeding,” he hissed, anger filling his voice. “Who did this?”

            “No one,” Enoka managed to choke out. The blonde-haired man began to stand but she wrapped her fist in his shirt, pulling him down with what little strength she had left. “Zabin,” she mumbled. “Message…get to Eron…manticores flying over Raydale. Two riders. The time has come.”

            Her strength completely depleted, Enoka unclenched her fist and let her arm drop. Her vision swam, making it impossible to see straight. Right before she passed out, she heard Eron say, “Cancel all plans. We go to the Fay’s Forest at once. The war has begun.”

*                                                                      *                                                          *

            Letting out a gasp, the Seer jerked himself out of his trance. His breath was caught in his throat as he wheezed and gagged like fish out of water.