Chapter 14: Fay City

Chapter 14

Fay City

When Dearekk slammed into the molten gold, he was sure that they were going to die. His eyes were wide open, unable to close as the golden ground rushed towards them. The growl above them reverberated as Sonya and he slammed full on into the circle.

            It was like falling into deep water, but without a splash. All there was ripples and then the scalding material surged over him, incasing him in a hot, golden tomb. He was able to turn his head to see that Sonya’s eyes were tightly shut.

            The heat ripped through him, scorching his very soul. But after a few moments the pain went away, and all he was left with was a warm floating sensation. As he looked around, images began to appear.

            His father, no not his father, the King stood in a room, fuming. He was throwing things around the room. A glass vase shattered against the wall as he screamed in fury.

            Rith sat on the edge of a bed, his face in his hands looking dejected and lost. A plate of food sat in the corner untouched.

            An elven man with long brown hair and scars punched an earthen wall, tears streaming down his face as a girl elf sat in the corner holding a pearl comb in her hand, crying too.

            Another elf, one with black hair and a bow, sprinted through the forest, rage burning in his eyes. His arrows glinted with blood in the moonlight.

            Looking over at Sonya, who had now opened her eyes, he knew that she was seeing the same thing. Her lips were drawn into a tight line, but he saw the flash of pain in her bright green eyes.

            Suddenly, the lights began to grow brighter and the pictures began to fade. Dearekk closed his eyes, the lights growing to bright for him to look at.

            Then he heard birds chirping.

            As he opened his eyes and sat up, he saw that he was lying on the side of a grassy hill, blue sky overhead. Bluebirds soared above them, chirping and laughing as they flew around the baffled companions.

            “What,” Dearekk began slowly, “just happened?” He looked around, trying to find some clue of where they were. “Weren’t we just in a cave?”

            Sonya stood up and brushed herself off. “No,” she stated sarcastically, drawing out the one word. She then turned and began to walk up the hill, about half way up she turned back. “Are you coming?” she asked in an irritated voice.

            Dearekk scrambled after her. “Why are we goin-“ he stopped suddenly as they reached the top of the hill.

            In the distance was a huge city, surrounded by an amethyst wall. Silver spirals towered above, twisting and dancing like snakes in the sky. Even from a distance, the city was magnificent.

            “No way,” Dearekk murmured in awe. “I thought it was just a myth…”

            Sonya’s eyes were wide, her mouth slightly open in wonder. “Imperia,” she whispered, “the Kingdom of the Fay.”

            All Dearekk could do was stand there for a little bit. It wasn’t until Sonya began walking down the hill that he snapped out of his daze. “What are you doing?” he called down to her.

            She flashed him a genuine, mischievous smile, “I think it’s time to pay the Fay a visit, don’t you?”

            He laughed and jogged after her.