Chapter 11: No Going Back

Chapter 11 No Going Back

Even Sonya’s elf night vision did her little good in the tunnel. As soon as the ground sealed above them, the cavern was filled with complete darkness and razor sharp spikes.

            “Dearekk,” a voice filled the passage. “My name is Dearekk.”

            “Sonya,” she replied, trying to keep the surprise out of her voice. Why had he told her his name? Why has she told him her name?

            They stood there for a moment, neither of them quite knowing what to do. “What did the rune say?” the boy, Dearekk, asked.

            Sonya blinked a few more times, trying to use her elf vision, but something seemed to be counteracting it. Realizing that the boy had asked her a question, her mind flashed back to the strange rune on the castle wall. To be honest she had never seen anything quite like it. The language was completely foreign to her, it had been made up of pictures and sketching rather than letters and words. “I’m not quite sure,” she admitted grudgingly, “from what I could understand, it said something about a “test” and “love”.

            “Love?” he scoffed. “This is a death trap, how could this possibly be related to love?” His voice sounded bitter almost panicky. Sonya heard a slight movement then an exclamation of pain. “By the One!” he swore, “what are these things made of?”

            Her retort was cut off by the sound of someone banging on the ground above and voices shouting. Both of their heads jerked up and neither breathed as the thumping suddenly stopped.

            “Whatever this place is, we can’t stay much longer,” Dearekk breathed out, his voice begining to sound strained. “How do we get out?”

            “How should I know?” she snapped back.

            “Razor sharp spikes, sealed over top, call me crazy but this looks like elf magic!”

            “You’re crazy!” her voice was rising. Then there was another thump and both of them fell silent. They’re right above us, she thought to herself, and they’re waiting for us to turn on each other.

            “We need to light up this place,” she whispered, and then turned to Dearekk. “Unless you want to impale yourself on the spears?” She couldn’t keep the little bit of hope out of her voice.

            “No thanks,” he snarled back.

            She rolled her eyes, then an idea popped into her head. She quickly drew a small knife she had stolen from one of the quarries. It was at that moment that she realized just how lucky she was, the knife was metal instead of quartz. She drew back her hand, and with all her strength bashed it against the spike before her. It produced a spark.

            Quickly she knelt down and tore off a piece of her trousers’ leg. “Do you still have that torch?” she whispered across the room to Dearekk.

            “I have this,” he tossed her the hilt of his broken sword, the one that had shattered.

            Sonya wrapped the piece of cloth around the broken part of the sword and struck the spike again, the sparks flew and the cloth instantly started on fire, illuminating the room.

            The sharp spikes looked like silver cones, some splattered with fresh blood from Dearekk and her, but others were coated in a reddish-brown substance. She instantly knew that they weren’t the first to discover this tunnel.

            However there was no time to admire the scenery. The torch was burning out fast and she did not wish to be stuck in this room any longer than needed.

            “Over there,” she saw Dearekk point to a thin path weaving through the room.

            Sonya didn’t need to be told a second time. She raced between the spears and out of the death trap, not caring about the little nicks and cuts she got along the way. Not moments after she stepped into tunnel, the door to the room behind them shut.

            “Well I guess there’s no going back now,” Dearekk whispered behind her.

            No going back. She seemed to be stuck with this boy for now.

(A/N Hi guys! Long time, no write! Sorry! This chapter is unedited and I didn't proof read it so sorry for any mistakes. Vote and comment! )