Before the Storm

Ben and Carlos took their time getting dressed. Being the king, however, Ben took far longer to get ready. "I'll just meet you at Cotillion Pup. These suits take a while." Carlos nodded and kissed Ben before going to catch up with Evie and Mal. After minutes of the doors being closed behind Ben, they opened again. "Pup?" Ben called not looking.

"Nope... just me," Uma said entering the room.

"Uma... How did you get here?". Ben said turning to her tensely. She could practically taste the fear coming from him.

"I jumped through the barrier as you left and I am a great swimmer... Now, I have a little unfinished business with your new Pup." Uma said flashing him a wicked grin turning pretending to leave.

"Uma! Please. I'll do anything. Don't hurt him." Ben was terrified of anything happening to Carlos. Their hearts had finally found each other.

"Oh, I never planned on hurting him. You will." She smirked viciously holding up a cookie. Ben's heart dropped in his stomach. Another love spell. Why did it always have to be a love spell? Ben hesitated but took the cookie, eating it all in one bite. His eyes flashed golden with Uma's magic before he went soft and loving, pulling Uma close.

"I love cookies. You're the best. You should be my date for Cotillion." He said playing with her hair. Uma's laugh was pure evil but Ben only seemed smitten by it. She dragged Ben around as she prepared for cotillion with her victim. She had to look good when she brought Audon to its knees.

Meanwhile, Carlos knocked on Mal and Evie's door. "Come in" Evie called. Carlos entering the room made her blush. "Hey 'los. Did you and the King have fun?" her voice a playful tone before letting out one of her signature squeals. "Did you do IT?" She waggled her eyebrows and Mal looked momentarily surprised. She grinned at the prospect of blackmail material.

"N-no. We didn't do it... we just showered together... then cuddled afterward. -He blushed heavily. Mal chuckles and adjusts her gloves.

"Leave it to Ben to take it slow. Even when we were together, we didn't get that far. He must really like you." Mal winked at the white-haired boy.

"um, actually we are True Loves. That is how I broke the love spell." Carlos said nervously. Both Evie and Mal gasped, followed by an ear-splitting squeal of joy. In unison, they all said, "True love's kiss, works every time." Carlos was somewhat surprised by how sweet Mal was about the whole thing. "Are you sure you are okay? I mean you clearly cared for him."

Mal laughed a bit, "Yeah, but it wasn't real. Besides, how was I going to stop true love? I'm a VK, not a monster." She shifted, "You two are adorable together. Ben needs someone to protect and look after. I was never going to be that for him." Mal turned finally ready for the night's event. "So... how do I look?".

"Wicked." Carlos winked making Mal laugh, almost cackle. He knew she liked being seen as evil, even if she wasn't. She likes that bad girl persona. Evie came over to him and started fussing over his outfit and everything, trying to make him look perfect. Typically, Carlos would resist and try and stop her but he really wanted to look his best tonight. They had all three settled into a comfortable conversation about school before Doug burst in.

"You went camping without me? Are you dating someone else? Is it Happy's son- "Evie cut him off.

"Ben was captured on the isle after we went to bring Mal back. Who told you I went camping?" She said confused.

"Jay." Carlos and Doug said in unison. Evie took his hands and kissed his cheek.

"Don't be dopey." She winked at him seemingly remedying the whole thing. "Now, there are princesses who need dresses. Time to deliver. Shall we?"

"We shall." Doug and Evie wheeled a rack of dresses out the door leaving Mal with Carlos. Carlos sat down and motioned her over, the two sitting together.

"I know you keep saying it's okay but I know you spelled him because you felt something for him. It's okay if you do, and I won't be upset about it. Honestly, you should have every reason to be mad at me. I sort of kissed your boyfriend before the separation was official. Mal, you've always been a sister to me. I'll always care for you. So if you need anything I'm here." Carlos was holding her hands comfortingly. She always liked holding hands with Evie, so he figured it would help.

"Carlos, I left because Auradon is a place of good. It's all pink and pretty. I may be pretty, but you know my rules on pink. More than that, I didn't want to be with Ben, I wanted to be with him to be Queen. As Queen, I could do so much more to help the kids on the Isle. The ones like us who would love a chance to be happy here. Now, you're going to be his queen, king... whatever" She hesitated a moment trying to think that out before giving up and moving on." The truth is, the moment I went back to the Isle, Ben and I were over, in my heart at least. Yeah, it still hurts but that's okay. You two are amazing for each other and I think, I have someone else in mind for myself. I just want you to promise me that you will always stand up for us VKs. Stand up for the Isle because we will always be VKs. We can hide it behind all the floral patterns and pink frills, but it'll always be our truth. We come from the isle and that is how it always will be." They were both teary-eyed and Carlos brought her hands to his chest, over his heart.

"I promise you Mal, I will always stand up for the VKs and the Isle. Any power I have will be to make sure that no one is unjustly punished. The two rested their heads together gently. Carlos knew Mal hated hugs, so they let their sibling moment be like this. Two people from different parents, resting against each other, with something to share.

After the touching moment, they headed for the cotillion.

"Welcoming the new lord and lady of the court. Carlos and Mal." Lumiere had called announcing them. They both looked at him confused for a long moment. Both? They were both now a part of the court. Lumiere smiled," Ben requested that even if Mal was no longer his love, he would like her to join to court on your behalf when necessary so you may share the burden of this new role." Mal and Carlos hugged smiling. While it was an odd arrangement, it didn't change who would be Ben's future partner and Carlos couldn't help but be happy to know that.