Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

There was a cool breeze that carried the mixed smell of garbage and funnel cakes. David smiled and looked down to Brooke. Brooke stood in line, waiting for her tickets. She did decide on a pair of maroon capris and a grey, three-quarter sleeve, crew neck shirt with a tan belt and white Keds. David was wearing a pair of jeans and a dark blue and white raglan tee with Sperry’s. There were distance laughs and screaming children. The sun was going down and the sky was a gold mix of blues, yellows, and pinks and greens.  

“So what do you want to do first?” David asked, wiggling his hands down into his pockets. He rocked back and forth from his heels to his toes and then back again.

Brooke thought for a moment before saying, “Um. I don’t really know. Let’s not do anything to gut wrenching right away.”

“So, the Scrambler?” David asked, pointing to the ride that had just started.

Brooke smiled and nodded as they stepped up to the counter. David paid for both of their bracelets. Brooke smiled as David taped the purple bracelet on around her wrist. Butterflies flutter around her stomach. David quickly grabs her wrist and heads to the entrance. Brooke followed David to the scrambler. Brooke was forced into David the entire ride. She laughed and pinched her eyes shut, scared to look at everything.

“OPEN YOUR EYES,” David screamed over the wind and music, blasting from the center of the ride.

Brooke smiled, opening one eye and then the other. She watched the world spin around her. Her hair was flying in her face and in David’s too. She looked to him and he looked her. For a moment, Brooke thought that this was the guy. This was the guy that she had gone through heartbreak to be with. The ride ended and split up the moment. Brooke’s curled hair settled back on her shoulders and David looked out to the trees.

“So, where to next?” He asked.

“Let’s do those slides,” Brooke said, pointing to the tall neon slides that they could see from their seat.

David smiled, standing up, “Are we going to race?”

“If you want a race,” Brooke said, standing up, “lets go to the go carts.”

David flashed Brooke a dazzling smile. She fell in love over and over as she took his hand and got out of the buggy.  The two went to the go carts and then the slides. David held Brooke’s hand as they walked from booth to booth, playing ring toss and balloon darts. It was getting darker and darker. David and Brooke rode a few roller coasters and then stopped to share a funnel cake.

“So,” David said, swallowing his mouthful of fattening, greasy, sugary food. “Abby told me about a party that a girl named Tina or Lina or Nina was throwing tonight?”

“Oh,” Brooke nodded, taking a sip of her Sprite. “Yeah, Nina always throws party.”

“We should’ve gone.” He nodded.

Brooke shrugged, “Want to?”

“Sure,” David shrugged. “I mean, if you want to.”

“Yeah, I want to ride a few more rides, but her parties don’t end until like three in the morning anyways.” Brooke exaggerated. She didn’t really want to go to the party, but it would give her a moment to be in the spotlight, introducing the new kid.

David looked at Brooke and then looked down, laughing.

“What?” Brooke said.

“You have some powder sugar on your nose…” He laughed.

Brooke covered her nose and excused herself to the bathroom. She waited in line just to get into the bathroom. When she was there, her nose was barely white. Not even white enough to see it. Brooke laughed and walked back out to the bench that David had been sitting on.

“There was no sugar on my no…” Brooke stopped.

David wasn’t at the bench. She looked around and couldn’t see him. The world started spinning. Her chest got heavy and all of the colors started blurring together. Tears immideatly streamed down her face. Brooke let out a deep, unsteady breath.

Brooke squeaked, “David?”

She turned around and saw him standing there with a giant stuffed dog. Brooke’s eyes grew big and her jaw slowly dropped. She wiped her tears away with the back of her hand.

“Surprise.” He said. “It took a little longer than I thought it would, but I won you this. I thought your room needed a little more home-y feel to it.”Brooke wiped her other cheek, making sure not to smear her make-up. “Oh my gosh, were you crying?” David asked. “I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to make you cry.”

David brought Brooke into a hug as she said, “Yeah. I just got worried. I have kind of a bad history with trusting guys too much.”

David nodded, not wanting to make that connection quite yet. Brooke slipped her hand into his as they walked off to the carousel. They rode it three or four times, taking pictures on Brooke’s phone. Then, around 9:45, David and Brooke boarded the Ferris wheel. They rode around and around. At first, both of their eyes were pinched shut, but half way up David started laughing.

“Open your eyes.” He said again.

So, Brooke did. She opened her eyes and felt like she was flying. She got cold and snuggled into David, still hugging her giant stuffed dog. Once they got stuck at the top, they both looked up. You couldn’t see any stars, but the liked to pretend like they could.

“Hey look,” Brooke said, pointing to sky, “A shooting star!”

“Make a wish,” David said.

Brooke shut her eyes and then felt the warm breath on her cold lips. And in that instant, Brooke’s wish came true.