Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Thirty-Two

“…and Brooke.” Abby revealed the top picture on the pyramid. “You are on the top of the pyramid this week for winning your age group last weekend. And happy late birthday, kid. You’re fifteen now, you’re at the top of the thirteen to fifteen age groups. You better be winning ever title from now on.”

Brooke stood, half naked as always and smiled. Maddie, Chloe, and Paige attacked her with hugs. The other moms clapped and cheered for Brooke. Abby held up a hand to get them to shut up. All of the girls and moms turned back to Abby and waited for her to continue.

Abby grabbed her notes and took a big, deep breath in. “Okay, so this week we will be traveling to Atlanta, Georgia to compete in Starbound again. We are their national winners. We better go in a kick some butt.” Abby filed through her papers and read off assignments. “The group number is called In You. It’s a contemporary-lyrical number to an instrumental song called a River Flows in You by Yiruma.” Abby nodded. “For solos, I’m granting one to Maddie, Chloe, and Nia. Brooke, you will also have a solo and you will be in a trio with two special guests. So, Kristen! Nick! Come on in!” Abby shouted.

Brooke’s eyes grew wide and watched as the two enemies walked into the room. Nick walked up and stood next to Kenzie. Kristen stood next to Brooke. Brooke flashed her a smile and then looked sympathetically over to Nick. She gave a slight Sorry shrug and turned back to Abby, not really wanting to do the trio.

“Moms, you’re dismissed, kids start spreading out to stretch. We’ll be working on the group first!” Abby clapped.

Kelly walked out first and went up the stairs to sit another day in dance jail. Brooke walked to Nick, with a little pep in her step. Chloe looked to Paige, it was like they could read each other’s minds. Paige shrugged at Chloe, knowing that everyone thought that Brooke and Nick were broken up. And they were, they had never said anything about getting back together.

“Are you excited?” Brooke asked Nick, poking fun at his obsession with hating Kristen.

He was bent over to stretch out his legs. He came back up and glared at Brooke, not saying anything. He angrily walked away, leaving Brooke alone. Chloe and Paige watched how everything happened. Paige shrugged again at Chloe. Maddie, unable to connect with Paige and Chloe, spoke out.

“Brooke, are you and Nick back together?” She asked loudly.

Brooke shook her head, “No, we’re just friends.”

Nick finished stretching out by himself. Kristen was with Kenzie and Brooke, Chloe, and Paige stretched together. Brooke loved her red, cross-back leotard. It was her favorite and she only wore it on special occasions. She suddenly felt a shock of self-consciousness. She pitter-pattered out into the dancers den and pulled a pair of black sweatpants on. She pulled her hair down and tried to rebraid it as perfect as it was before she took it down. She gave up and put it back up in a messy bun. When she walked back in, everyone looked at her.

“Brooke, you know you won’t be able to learn a lyrical dance in those.” Abby said.

“I’m cold.” Brooke lied.

“Okay, I’ll give you ten minutes to warm up.” Abby nodded, still full of sympathy.

Brooke smirked and began to learn the beginning of the dance. Kelly rolled her eyes at Abby every time she’d make any remark to any of the girls.  They lived a crazy life, the Hyland’s did. The time came for Brooke to take her sweatpants off. She skipped out to the dancers den and slowly pulled her sweatpants off, letting the cool air wind and wrap around her legs and feet. Brooke shook for a moment in the cool air.