Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five

Brooke brought David home to spend the day with her and her family. But the very next day, Brooke and David jumped into their normal routine. They saw each other at school and rode with each other to dance, but since Brooke was with the elite team, she didn’t dance with him. She couldn’t. Brooke called Josh every night at eight o’clock. Brooke and David kept spending time together, from what free time Brooke had. A few weeks passed, and David and Brooke got friendlier and friendlier. Thanksgiving break rolled around, and Abby gave everyone the week off.

Brooke woke up at ten o’clock in the morning one day. She rolled over and snuggled back up with her giant stuffed dog she named Yoyo. She shut her eyes again, hoping she could fall back asleep, but when her phone buzzed, she was up. She sprung out of her bed like it was on fire. She sat on the freezing cold, metal chair and picked her phone up off of her desk.

Nickky Dobbs: Okay. Fine. You don’t have to forgive me, but I want to know why in the world you hooked up with that new kid!

Brooke’s heart dropped. As fast as she could, she responded. She typed: I didn’t hook up with him! It was one kiss. THAT’S IT! Who told you?

Brooke slammed her phone on the table and jumped up out of her seat. She got up and got in the shower, and when she came back, Nick had responded: David.

Brooke’s heart dropped again. The room suddenly became hot and it started to spin. It was hard to breathe and hard to move. Brooke’s arms were heavy and her knees were weak. Her jaw had dropped open as she looked around the room. The room was so silent, it hurt. Brooke’s eyes were swollen with tears.

The towel, from around her body, dropped to the floor. She got dressed in a pair of black jeggings and a burnt-red tunic with white polka dots and white trim around the arms and collar that tied in the front in a bow. Brooke dried her hair, trying to get her mind off of David and off of Nick and even off of Brandon, John, and Sam. Brooke curled her hair and then did her make-up, but it was nothing much. She just put on mascara and a little bit of eyeliner. She jammed her feet into a pair of white Toms that she had gotten from Auriel months before.

Brooke walked down the stairs. David sat in his room talking to Kylie, and texting the other girls from the studio about how he and Brooke hooked up. He laid on his bed in pajama pants and a blue t-shirt. He scratched his head and looked at the bare trees out the window.

“Yeah, baby.” He said, pulling the phone back to his ear. “Of course, I still love you.”

“But…I have a feeling that you’ve been messing around with other girls.” Kylie cried.

David let out a big sigh. “There’s this girl. She’s staying here where I am. We hang out sometimes, but that’s it. That’s all it’s ever been,” David lied. “I love you, Ky.”

“I gotta go, Aunt Loraine is getting mad…” Kylie said.

“Alright.” David nodded and then hung up.

David got out of his bed and slipped into some jeans. He walked down the stairs and found Brooke in the kitchen. Brooke was standing in front of the sink, reading the back of a box of brownies. To prove to her parents that she was capable of being on her own, she was going to make dessert for Thanksgiving dinner.  David came up behind Brooke and put his arms around her waist.

“Hey,” He said.

Brooke shook him off of her without saying a word. She walked to the cabinet to the left of the sink, by the refrigerator. She pulled out a large glass bowl and set it on the counter. David stood in the middle of the kitchen with one of those What-Did-I-Do looks. Brooke pulled out two eggs and cup. She opened the box up and pulled the package of brownie mix out.

“You can’t ignore me forever, Brookie.” David says.

Brooke whipped around, hair flying back. She pointed a pair of scissors at David. She was using them to open the package of brownie mix. Brooke had her mad face on. She tried not to scream at him when she said, “Don’t call me that.”

“I’ve been calling you ‘Brookie’ since we met.”  David said. “What happened?”

“Nothing,” Brooke sassed in a mumble. She turned back around and pour all of the ingredients into the bowl. She cracked open an egg and plopped the yolk in the bowl.

“Something must’ve happened.” David said.

Brooke stopped what she was doing, feeling the tears come back. She put her hands on the dark marble counter tops. She took a deep breath in and let it out. “Nick texted me this morning…when I woke up.”

“And…” David said. “He always sends you love notes. He’s in love with you…” David exaggerated.

“No,” Brooke nearly cut him off. “It was different. It asked why I hooked up with you. And I told him that all we did was kiss on the top of the Ferris wheel. So I asked him who told him that we, you know.” Brooke looked up, hoping the tears would fall back into her eyes. She wiped her eye with her nail. “And he said you did.” Brooke turned around, letting the tears fall out of her eyes and down her cheek and onto her top. She wanted David to feel bad. “Do you know how bad I will get judged, now? My mom is going to find out and I’m going to have to move back in with her. David, I really liked you, but you had to go starting stuff.”

“I just told Nick because I wanted to rub it in that you are mine.” David said, walking closer to Brooke.

Brooke backed into a corner, “No, get away from me.”

David sweetly said, “Brookie.” He kept getting closer and closer to her.

“What are you doing?” Brooke asked, frightened.

“I just want to love you,” David said, kissing her neck.

Brooke took in bottomless breaths, shaking every time. “Stop it,” She said, “David, stop!”

“You can’t make me,” He said. It wasn’t sweet and goofy like he had been, it was forced and creepy. It made Brooke’s skin crawl with terror. Her blue eyes looked around the room, everywhere but at the big, tall boy. “And you’ll do what I say...” David pulled out a knife from the sink, “…or else.”