Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

A week had passed and Brooke got settled in at Abby's. Everything was different. She could sleep in most days, do her school work whenever, and dance all day long. Because it was early in the season, she was the only one at Abby's. Brooke continued to dance at ALDC, seeing her mom and sister. It took all of her might to avoid Brandon and Nick. Every day, around three o'clock, she'd get a text or a tweet from Nick. It said the same thing every time: I'm sorry. Please forgive me! I really want to go to Prom with you. And every day, Brooke would delete the message.

Two more weeks had passed, and Brooke grew lonely. At competitions, she'd stay with Abby. It became a new level of normal. Paige turned from a spunky little girl to a shy quiet kind of girl. She became more like Chloe than she was like Brooke. Paige was one of those girls who copied the people around her, personality wise. Brooke knew who she was. She was Brooke Marie Hyland and she wasn't going to stop that for anyone. But Chloe, Chloe was a little more reserved. And you could see how it was changing Paige.

October was coming to an end, and Brooke became more and more homesick. School was going fine. She made one friend, but they weren't really friends. Brooke's school friends stopped talking to her. She had to find everything out over Twitter or Facebook. One night, Brooke was sitting in her room at Abby's.

It was a small room. The walls were plain white. She had a twin sized, black, wire-framed bed pushed up against the wall. Her mattress was thin and squeaky, but it wasn't terrible. The bed was covered with scratchy purple sheets and a flat, white, lace comforter. There was a brown trunk at the foot of the bed where all of Brooke's clothes were. There was a small closet in the corner where just a few nice dresses and blouses were hung. Against the opposite wall of her bed was a white wooden desk with a metal fold out chair. There was a small TV hung in the corner of the room. The only channel it got was channel six, the local news station.

Brooke sat in her desk chair, by the window. She watched the rain fall out of the sky. It felt like that's it had been like. Rain. Brooke took a deep breath in and let it out. It was her weekend off, in honor of Halloween. Paige's birthday was the next day, and Brooke knew how much it meant to her and her sister. Paige would be turning twelve the next day, and Brooke wanted to surprise her sister.

Brooke heard footsteps walk down the hall, followed by the thumping of a door shutting. She didn't mind it too much. It was probably Abby, trying to find where she misplaced something. Brooke grabbed a water bottle off of her bed side table. She took a sip and heard knocking at her door.

Brooke stoop up quickly, pulling on a pair of sweatpants. Whoever it was, even if it was Abby, Brooke didn't want anyone to see her in spandex shorts. She slipped on a sweatshirt and heard the thumping again from down the hall and another knock on the door.

"One second," Brooke said. She came to the door, wiggled her toes, and swung it open to see Ms. Abby standing in the doorway. "Yes ma'am?"

"We have a new student with us." Abby said.

Brooke smiled, ready to see who it was.

"Now he just moved here from out of town. His mom won't be able to come live up here until the end of the semester, so I offered to house him." Abby said. She held out her hand to down the hall. There were footsteps, stepping on the cold, hardwood. Brooke's stomach dropped, excited to meet the new kid, first. "Brooke, this is David. He just moved here from LA."

The boy came into view. He was tall, taller than Brandon. He had a honey color tint to his hair. It was cut short. His eyes were a plain green color, nothing special really. He had an electric smile that shot something through Brooke.

"Hi," She was able to get out.

He grinned, "Hey."

Brooke kept her cool on the outside, but was freaking out on the inside. Abby went on to introduce them, "David, this is Brooke. She's one of my finest dancers. She competes on an elite team at the studio as well as with the teen and senior companies." Abby started to turn around, "Dinner will be done soon. Then, you two could go to the fair or something. It is Halloween, after all."

Abby turned completely around and thumped and bumped down the stairs, leaving David and Brooke alone. They watched her walk down the stairs, pause, and then walk back towards the kitchen. David turned to Brooke before Brooke turned to him. When they did finally make eye contact, they both blushed, giggled, and turned away.

"So," David said first. "How long have you been staying here?"

Brooke nearly cut him off, "Almost a month." She shut her mouth and her eyes grew big. She thought, Was that too fast? So she repeated herself, but slower, "Nearly a month now."

"Oh," David nodded. "Do you like it here?"

Brooke shrugged before she said, "I guess. I mean, I have my days where I just want to go home and then I have my days where I wish I could've came here sooner." David's phone started to wring before Brooke was done talking. She pointed at his pocket and said, "Are you gonna take that?"

"Nah," David shook his head. "I can call my mom later."

Brooke smiled, glad she found a new friend. Brooke invited David into her room. As messy as it was, David didn't seem to care. Abby called them down for dinner about twenty minutes later. They had the normal spaghetti with garlic bread and meatballs. It was Abby's specialty. The three sat around the table eating, and not doing much talking.

It was half-past six when dinner was done. Brooke cleaned up while David got interrogated by Ms. Abby. Brooke eavesdropped the entire time. She knew she would have to find some things out on her own, but it was nice that they both had loud, and somewhat obnoxious voices. Brooke retreated up to her room, thinking she would watch a movie and then go to bed. But, around seven, there was another knock on the door. Brooke sprung out of bed and opened the door.

"Hey," David said. "So, do you wanna head up to the county fair?"

The butterflies in Brooke's stomach came back. A grin grew on her face. She could hear Abby's voice in her head, 'And Kelly, there will be no time for boys.' And then she heard her mothers, 'You need to focus on school and on dance, and that's it.' Brooke looked at her family picture she had hung by the door.

She smiled, "Sure. I'll be down in fifteen minutes."

David nodded, "Sweet," and walked off.

Brooke shut the door and looked around her room, "What am I going to wear?"

****BOY IN THE SIDEBAR IS DAVID****