Chapter Twenty-Eight

The next day, Brooke went with Abby to drop David off at the airport. He had to go back home. Since his mom was a single mom, she figured that if anything happened to her, and she couldn’t be here, she gave the responsibility of raising her children to her best friend Erin and Michael.

“Flight 23 is now boarding.”

“That’s me,” David said, holding onto Brooke’s hand. He turned and gave Abby a hug and then he hugged Brooke.

While in his arms, she said, “You were the best boyfriend a girl could ask for.”

“No I wasn’t.” David shook his head and let go. “Go be with that Nick kid. He loves you, I can tell. He loves you more than I ever could.”

“But,” Brooke said. “I want to be with you. You’re so sweet and now you have to leave.”

“I’ll come back and visit.” David nodded. “I just need to go deal with some stuff. I’m glad I met you.”

Brooke hugged him one last time with tear filled eyes. She pinched her eyes shut. Tears fell out of each one and landed on his shoulder. Brooke bit her tongue, trying to stop herself from crying. She let go first and went and hugged Abby. David waved goodbye and walked to the gate. Right before he walked down the hall to get to the plane. He waved one last time. Brooke wanted to ask about Kylie. Maybe Kylie was his little sister? Brooke thought.

Abby and Brooke walked back to the car in the parking garage. Brooke sat in the front seat and Abby drove. Brooke pulled her knees to her chest and turned her back towards Abby. She watched cars zoom past them the entire way home, crying.

“Brooke.” Abby said. “You confuse me, sometimes. No more like all the time.”

“Why is that?” Brooke asked, wiping her eye and kicking off her Ugg boots.

“One minute you’re crying over Brandon, and then the next you’re loving on Nick. And then you’re crying about Nick and kissing David. And then you’re crying about David and loving Nick again. And then you’re crying, saying you want to be with David even though you just got over mono from kissing Nick!” Abby said. “I just don’t understand.”

 Brooke sniffed, “Maybe I just won’t have a boyfriend for a while.”

“That’s a wise choice, Brooke.” Abby said. “In these deep moments that we have, I always want to call you Brooklyn.”

Brooke smirked, not letting Abby see. Within the next hour they were back at Abby’s place. Brooke got dressed in her dancewear. She wore purple spandex shorts and a long sleeve, purple, crop top. She pulled a pair of blue jeans and an ALDC t-shirt on over. She put her pink pea coat and Burberry scarf. She put on fuzzy socks and slipped her feet back into she pink Ugg boots. She grabbed her dance bag, her keys, and her phone with a pair of head phones.

“What’s up?” Abby said, seeing Brooke dressed and heading towards the door.

“I’m going to the studio.” Brooke said.

“Alright.” Abby said. “Be careful, it’s supposed to snow tonight. I’ll be there to pick you up whenever you call. Oh, and Gianna might be stopping by to get some things ready for tomorrow’s pyramid.”

“Yes ma’am.” Brooke walked out of the door.

Brooke headed down the road, on the sidewalk. It was only about four o’clock in the afternoon, but a lot of people were going to have an early dinner. That’s what people did on Sundays. Brooke turned left at the stop sign, the opposite way of her house. It took around an hour to walk there. She missed David already. With him, it was a five minute drive. If it hadn’t been so cold, it would’ve only taken Brooke half an hour to get there. Brooke found the key to the back door as she crossed the street to the studio. She walked around back and unlocked the door. She walked in and pulled the door behind her.

The studio was weird when it was dark and deserted. She walked to the wall where she flipped the lights on. On a daily basis, she’d always turn the lights off for a split second to scare the girls and boys who sat in the den. She dropped her stuff on a bench and pulled her jacket and scarf off. She threw her boots across the room once she got them off and peeled her pants off of her legs. She decided to keep the t-shirt on until she was warm enough to take it off. She unlocked studio A and began to walk in.

“Maybe I should….” Brooke said out loud. She let go of the door, letting it bounce close. She walked out to the lobby and behind the counter. “I’m such a rebel.” Brooke said. She logged onto the computer and started looking through personal files. It wasn’t as interesting as she thought until she found a file folder labeled ELITE TEAM. She clicked on it and it brought up a number of other folders. Each folder had a girls name written on it and then there was also a folder named PYRAMID AND ASSIGNMENTS. She clicked on it and found the next day’s date.

She clicked on the Power Point Project. Brooke saw that she was going to be on the bottom, but that was understandable, she’d been out for three weeks. Brooke clicked through the slides and found the assignments for the week. The group dance was to a song called Secrets by the Pierces. Brooke went onto Youtube and typed it in. She immediately recognized it as the Pretty Little Liars theme song. She smiled and snooped some more. Maddie, Chloe, and Paige were having a trio, and then she came over a piece of information. It said that Brooke was supposed to have a duet with David.

Brooke got sad and clicked out of the power point and her Internet Explorer page. She walked into studio A again and began to dance. She was dancing to Vegas Girl by Conor Maynard for the competition that weekend, Abby had started teaching it to her a few days earlier so she could be prepared after being gone for so long. It was a jazz number, something different for Brooke to work on.

She heard footsteps outside the room, It’s just Gia. Rustling came and large, hard, ground shaking steps. Maybe it’s Abby. Brooke stopped dancing and paused the music. She pushed the door open and poked her head out. She walked out, not thinking anything of it. The thought completely escaped her when she heard her phone buzz. She walked to the wall and picked up her phone.

Ms. Abby: There’s someone in the building. Gia is outside calling the police, don’t make any sound. Go into studio C and turn all the lights off. Or hide in the girls bathroom behind the costumes where Kenzie hid when you were playing hide and go seek last weekend.

Brooke’s face dropped. She grabbed her phone and her keys. She walked into the studio and locked the door behind her. She found her way around in the dark. She built herself a fort using the mats. Brooke could hear her heartbeat in her ears. The silence grew louder and louder. It didn’t register to her that someone, possibly dangerous, was in the building. And how did Abby know?

The door started rustling. Brooke whipped her head and looked out her peek hole to see a black blob through the shadowy glass door. Crashhhhhh, clink, dillilnk, the glass was busted through. Brooke drew in a quick, piecing cold breath. She saw as the man or woman ripped a stereo out of the wall. She saw the man pull something out of his pants. It was a gun. He didn’t do anything with it, but he walked back through the door. Brooke’s phone buzzed.

Gia M: The police are here. Stay where you are, they’ll come and help you.

The man looked back in the door. She heard the gun click, it was locked and probably loaded. Tears started to fill Brooke’s eyes. Her chest was heavy and her stomach was queasy. She saw the man’s arm raise and point the gun right over Brooke’s head. BANG!

Brooke gulped and squeezed her eyes shut. The bullet hit the bar and ricocheted off to the wall.  Brooke took small breaths, as quiet as she could.

“COME OUT OF THE BUILDING NOW!” The police said.

Everything Brooke could see got fuzzy and then went black.