Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

Brooke stretched her hand up and pretended to stab herself in the stomach. She fell to the ground and did a quick acro trick. She finished her solo, laying in the middle of the stage, looking at the middle judge. Her eyes finally flutter shut as the music fades out.

Brooke’s solo was about a girl who doesn’t fit in and doesn’t like herself. The girl has been self harming for most of her adolescent life and finally just decides to kill herself, so she does. Brooke had never experienced self harm, but she could relate to being a social outcast and not liking herself. She’d been through so much with Brandon and Nick and definitely with what had happened the night before.

Tears fell out of Brooke’s eyes as she rolled over and lifted herself off of the floor without using her hands. She ran off of the stage, trying not to show the tears to the judges. Abby was standing back stage with the other girls, watching her. Brooke ran right up to Chloe and gave her a hug. Brooke wasn’t too sure why she ran to Chloe, but something just felt right.

“You are beautiful and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise,” Brooke said through her tears to Chloe. Letting go of Chloe, she bent down to see Mackenzie and gave her a hug. She hugged all of the girls and then finally made her way to Abby.

Abby whispered so quietly, Brooke could barely hear her say, “You are beautiful and such an amazing dancer. You’ll go far.”

Brooke smiled and wiped her tears as they all walked back to the dressing room. Maddie had a solo, but it wasn’t for about fifteen minutes. Brooke was the last one back. She wanted to stop and look at her black eye that had already started to fade. Brooke took a deep breath in and wiped her runny mascara. She walked out of the bathroom as she threw away her paper towel and met back up with all of the girls in the dressing room.

“Well, Brooke, I think you danced fabulously.” Abby said, sitting down.

“Thank you.” Brooke says, intimidated by what Abby was going to say afterward.

Abby opened her mouth, “But it could always be better.”

Then suddenly there was a knock at the door. All of the girls turned their heads and looked at the door. Gianna got up from the corner of the room and opened the door. There Nick stood with a sing rose in front of everyone. It didn’t register to Brooke that it was Nick. A few of the girls cheered and ran to him as Abby put the final touches on Maddie’s make up.

Nick walked in and up to Brooke. He blushed and looked at his feet. He pretended to squish a bug as he handed the flower to Brooke. He looked from his shoes to Brooke’s beautiful blue eyes. He gave a small shrug as he muttered something.

“This is for you,” Nick whispered, self conscious.

“Thanks…” Brooke said as she awkwardly took the flower out of Nick’s hand. She dropped it on her make up stand. Brooke looked around the room and realized that everyone was holding an unsteady stare and were definitely listening. “C’mon.”

Brooke stood up and grabbed Nick’s hand. She started walking out of the green room. As soon as they walked out, they walked around to the lobby, knowing perfectly well where they were going. They walked out of the building and around the corner. They had sat there just months prior to that competition. It was the spot where they decided to start seeing other people, all of which was Nick’s choice.

“That was beyond embarrassing, everyone knows I have a boyfriend.” Brooke said. “What were you thinking? Are you stupid?”

Nick slid down the wall, “Listen, I’m sorry.”

“I’ve heard that a thousand times before.” Brooke said dropping her hands to the side, nearly yelling.

“Then why haven’t you learned anything from it?” Nick screamed. “Brandon basically told you to screw over and that he could care less if you just fell off of the face of the earth. He says he’s sorry and now you’re back with him. I should really be asking if YOU are stupid?”

“It’s not like you haven’t ever told me that you are sorry you did something stupid.” Brooke sassed. “People make mistakes, Nick. And you’re my biggest one.”

“I’m probably the best guy you’ll ever meet!” Nick screamed and got up in Brooke’s face. “Brandon is a piece of shit who treats you and everyone around you like garbage. How does that make you feel? Cause I know it makes me feel like crap, Brooke. It hurts my feelings that he puts you in these dangerous situations, and you are too stupid to see all the games he’s playing.” Nick backed up a bit. “He’s playing you Brooke, just like he plays every other girl he’s with. Next think you know he’s gonna be getting you pregnant or something!”

“That is NOT going to happen.” Brooke wagged her head back and forth. “What are you doing here anyways? Shouldn’t you be at home explaining to your parents why you duct taped your window?”

“I didn’t have anything to do, and I knew you guys were going, I thought I might as well come. But I can go home anytime. Payton’s mom is ten minutes away!” Nick said pointing at the parking lot. He batted his green eyes at her.

There were a few seconds of awkward silence. Brooke’s arms were crossed in front of her. She looked away, not making eye contact with anyone. She looked back to Nick and opened her mouth. “Payton is here?” She asked, shuffling her feet back and forth.

Nick nodded. “We’re kind of together.”

Feeling tears rush to her eyes, Brooke walked away quickly. She was afraid she would start crying in front of him. Brooke really didn’t want to cry. She knew she was with Brandon. She was happy with Brandon, for once, but somewhere deep down, Brooke hated knowing Nick had feelings for any other girl. Especially if it was Payton.

“BROOKE!” Nick called, but she was gone.