Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Brooke smiled and sang along to Nicki Minaj’s “Starships.” She dances with Brandon and a few other boys from the studio. On the way to the party, Brooke had told Brandon all about what happened just minutes before, but also, Brandon asked why he couldn’t pick her up in her driveway. Brooke remembered what happened and the smile on her face slowly disappeared.

Brandon walked away, leaving Brooke with Payton. Payton was wearing a skirt, that didn’t flatter her body shape at all, and a shirt that came up a little too high. It looked like she was going to homecoming at a church. Brooke laughed when she realized that she looked like her mother had dressed her. Brooke could feel Payton’s steady glare from a few feet away, and Brooke decided to make sure she looked like she was having the most fun in the world.

She started laughing and dancing again with a few kids she didn’t know as well as the others. Finally, Brooke turned around and realized Payton was right there. She gave out a little shriek but nothing that stopped the party. She looked up at Payton and laughed a little more out of fear and out of her Nun-like look.

“What’s up, Payton?” Brooke asked, still halfway dancing.

“Are you with Nick or are you with Brandon?” Payton’s arms stayed crossed.

The song changed and everyone started jumping up and down and screaming. They held their cups in the air and sang a long as loud as they could to “Feel So Close” by Calvin Harris. Brooke ginned slightly, glancing over her shoulder at Auriel. She turned back to Payton with a straight face.

“I’m not talking about my love life with a girl who’s just jealous and tries to steal every boy who I might be interested in.” Brooke began to walk away, but before she got too far away, she turned back to Payton. Brooke put her pointer finger in the air and said, “First off, that outfit does NOT make you looked good.” Pulling a second finger up, Brooke continued, “And second, I’m here with Brandon if you must know everything.”

Brooke turned away, leaving Payton standing by herself with her jaw to the floor. Brooke sits down on a bench near the wall. She pulled her phone out of her bra and checked the time. It was eleven o’clock. She had at least thirty more minutes to do whatever she wanted and have the most fun ever.

Brandon came back with two red solo cups, one for himself and one for Brooke. Brooke took a sip of what she thought was punch. She puckered her lips and looked at Brandon. He gave a smidge of a chuckle as he looked to her. He shook his head and took a big gulp of his.

“Brandon this is nasty.” Brooke said.

Brandon wagged his head, “Keep drinking. It gets better.”

“What is this?” Brooke asked.

Brandon took another gulp of his drink. “Fruit punch.”

Brandon set his empty cup on the coffee table before hitting the dance floor. Brooke finished her drink, assuming it was fruit punch. And Brandon was right, it did get better. Brooke danced around and drank from everybody’s cup. Avoiding the whole germ thing, she used a straw. It was 11:45 when Brandon was ready to go. He needed to get Brooke home. Everybody else had left twenty minutes before they did. Brooke stood out on the dance floor by herself bopping back and forth.

“Life it a little Brandon!” Brooke slurred, pulling Brandon close to her. “YOLO, right?”

“Brooke, I need to get you home. It’s almost past your curfew and Paige is probably waiting on you. Now lets go!” Brandon said, trying to pull her out of the back door.

“Brandon you never want to have any fun!” Brooke pouted, crossing her arms and letting Brandon guide her out the door.

Brandon picked her up and put her in the front of his car. She pulled her seatbelt down and across her body and tried to click it in, but she just couldn’t get the hang of it. She sat, head spinning in the front of Brandon’s car. Once they had gotten out of Nina’s neighborhood, Brooke rolled down the window and puked on the side of Brandon’s car.

“Ew.” He muttered under his breath.

Brooke wiped her mouth and said, “It’s time for me to go to bed!”

“And to think what you would’ve been like with straight up vodka.” Brandon said to himself.

Brooke sang along to the night time oldies that played on her favorite radio station. She started crying while she sang along to “American Pie.” She swayed back and forth in her seat. Brandon kept his eyes on the road, glancing over at Brooke every few seconds. He shook his head every time.

“You are definitely a light weight…” Brandon said.

“What does that mean?” Brooke asks, leaning over to Brandon. “Are you calling me fat? Cause I’m not fat, Brandon! I’m beautiful! My mom says that I’m beautiful and that Payton doesn’t like me because I’m pretty. And that she’s gonna steal all the boyfriends.”

“You are wasted…” Brandon said, starting to regret bringing Brooke her spiked fruit punch.

~

Shortly after Brooke left for the party, Paige had turned the water on in Brooke’s bathroom and let it run for about thirty minutes. She played around with bubbles making the room and the hallway smell good. Paige set up wet towels over the banister and danced around Brooke’s room, making sure that mom heard her footsteps. Around eleven, Paige turned the light out in Brooke’s room and set up pillows, making it look like Brooke was in bed, asleep. Paige tiptoed into her room and laid down. She glanced out the window every few minutes making sure Brooke was coming home.

“I’m going to bed, Paigey! Don’t be up too much longer.” Kelly said, poking her head into Paige’s room. “Is Brooke still up?”

“I don’t think so…” Paige said. “She told me she was going to bed like thirty minutes ago. I wouldn’t mess with her right now. I think she’s on her period or something. She was really snappy with me.”

“Okay.” Kelly said. “I love you, Paigey Mack.”

“Love you too.” Paige said.

She looked out the window as Kelly shut the door. Kelly poked her head into Brooke’s room. Everything looked normal to her. Paige fell asleep at the window. She was woken up by lights shining in her eyes. Paige’s eyes adjusted and saw that with was Brandon in his red Suburban. Paige snuck down the stairs and to the foyer, slowly unlocking the door and pulling it open. Brandon walked Brooke to the door.

“She’s drunk.” Brandon said. “Good night Paige.”

“Night!” Paige scream-whispered. “Now let’s get you to, bed!” Paige said to Brooke.

“Okay,” Brooke giggled.

“SH!”

“Right!” Brooke whispered and then giggled quietly, tip toeing to the stairs. She started laughing as she fell up the stairs.

“Remind me never to go partying with you.” Paige said, pulling her sister up the stairs.