Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Nick paced back and forth in his living room. The TV was still set on Toddlers and Tiaras, but there was a bigger problem at hand. Payton just told the world what she and he had done. His heart fell and his stomach twisted into knots. He felt tears in his eyes as he squatted and ran his fingers through his hair. He took a big breath and then let it out.

“I’m Alana. I’m six, and I’m a beauty queen!” The TV sounded.

“SHUT UP HONEY BOO BOO!” Nick screamed at his TV, happy he was home alone.

Nick jumped up and threw the remote at the old, big, flat screen TV that was pushed up against the wall. The remote cracked the screen and the batteries popped out of the remote. But Nick didn’t care that much. His eyes finally broke and tears fell like rain drops falling on a hot humid day. He plopped onto the long couch on his stomach. As the tears streamed down his face, he completely forgot about how he would explain everything to Brooke.

As Brooke bit into her croissant, her phone beeped. Assuming it was Nick, she picked it up. Paige looked from her plate of macaroni to Brooke’s plate of breakfast food. She looked from her food to Brooke’s phone and then up at Brooke’s seemingly happy face.

“Well this is a turn-around from yesterday.” Paige said, recalling everything that happened from just the day before.

Slowly, as Brooke reads the tweet from Payton, he face drops. She throws her roll down, making it bounce off of her plate and land right in the middle of Paige’s. She locked her phone, got up from the table, and ran off to the elevator. Slamming the button to go up, Brooke’s shoulders bounced as she sobbed. Tear after tear ran down her cheeks, dripping off of her chin, and landing on her t-shirt.

“Come on!” Brooke pleaded the elevator. “Hurry!”

Brooke heard it beep, and thought no one was inside of it. She sprung into the elevator and, again, bumping into someone causing her fall flat on her face. Brooke pulled herself up with throbbing hands and knees and wiped her clammy hands off on her shorts.

“Brooke!” Brandon called as she jammed her finger onto her floor number. Brandon slipped back into the elevator. “Brooke, are you okay?”

Brooke shook her head from side to side, throwing her arms around Brandon’s neck. It took a second for Brandon to react. Slowly wrapping his arms around her small waist, Brandon hugged back giving a slight smile. Brooke sobbed in Brandon’s ear, wiping her eyes on his green t-shirt.

Paige watched as Brooke ran away, wondering what happened. Kelly came back to the table. With a confused look she followed Paige’s gaze at the elevator. She watched Brooke fall and then Brandon jump back into the elevator. Kelly cocked her head to the side as she and Paige looked back to each other at the same time.

“Why did Brooke leave?” Kelly asked.

Paige shrugged, picking at her macaroni with her fingers. “I dunno.” Paige smacked on her food. “She checked her phone and then ran off crying.”

“It couldn’t have been Brandon…he just got in the elevator with her.” Kelly said. Shrugging, she said, “I’ll find out later.”

Paige nodded, finishing up her lunch. Her phone buzzed in her pocket. Pulling her phone out of her pocket, Paige licked her fingers. She made sure her hands weren’t greasy before touching the screen. She had gotten a text from Nick. She turned her head as she read: Is Brooke crying?

How does he know that? Paige asks herself.

Yeah…why? How did you know that?

Paige sends the message right as Kelly found the tweet. Kelly finished shewing her food before saying anything. Slowly getting up from the table, Kelly said, “Paige stay here. Okay? I’ll just be a minute. I’m gonna go talk to Christi.”

Paige nodded.

Nick Dobbs: Because Payton tweeted something and if it made me cry it must’ve made her cry. Is she close by?

Paige shook her head from side to side. Her blonde hair bounced from side to side. She typed out the word ‘no’ and added a sad face. She sent the text, set her phone back down, and picked on her food again.

Meanwhile, in the elevator, Brandon didn’t let go of Brooke. Brooke had pulled her hands back down towards her. Her hands crossed in front of her and in front of Brandon. Her head rested on his chest. His arms were wrapped tightly around her. She was still breathing uneasily, but for the most part had calmed down. Brooke sighed, trying to catch her breath and trying to forget the pain in her knees.

Brandon took a breath in before saying, “I love you.”

Brooke didn’t say a word, but she moved her head from his chest to look up at him. She put her hands on his collar bone and stood on her tippy toes. She reached up and kissed him. Brandon picked Brooke up and leaned against the wall of the elevator. Brooke wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling away every few moments to catch her breath.